Tutoring in for Warks test.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

serendippyty

Re: Tutoring in for Warks test.

Post by serendippyty »

That's a real shame that you have been unable to find a school that stimulates him effectively. We had similar with my children's first school but we moved them to a new one and have been really happy with the standard of education received and the opportunities our children have had - the school works hard to take them on different courses and to open up new experiences for them so boredom is prevented and the more able go on G and T courses in the area to boost their learning.

Hopefully High School will be better for your child.
ernestcyril

Post by ernestcyril »

Crikey..agreeing with you again Serendippyty! I would also agree that tutoring in one of its rainbows of definitions (!) is necessary when the school hasn't quite matched up to expectations. We've been one of the lucky ones where the school has provided excellent education and obviously taught enough to pass the exam well, without further work at home.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Ed's mum wrote:You are accurate about my daughter's scores. Her NVR was very high and her maths was 40%
I do not know whether this was at the low end of results though.
My daughter was/is gifted in maths and the time constraints meant that she left out quite a lot of questions. She didn't meet particularly difficult questions though. The main shock was the sheer amount which had to be answered within time.
The standardised score your daughter got for maths will tell you whether it was at the lower end of the successful candidates. Do you have a note of it? 2 years ago, my elder son scored 73% in the maths which standardised as 132. This year my other son scored 75% which standardised as 129. I suppose it is possible that the maths was radically harder 1 year ago when your daughter took the exam and 40% was a good score. That has been the only CEM exam year that I haven't had a child involved, so I can't be sure. If not though, my argument would be that a bit of DIY tutoring can make a massive difference and I am sure your daughter could have greatly improved her score with a bit more speed and accuracy, because the raw ability was almost certainly there. I am not saying you should have done some work with her, on the contrary, you didn't need it (a) because she passed comfortably anyway and (b) because you didn't need the state school place. What I am saying is that, paradoxically, to me your daughter is evidence of the benefits of extra work on the maths side.
One point I might pick you up on is the comment about "gifted". I assume you are referring to the state school system of registering the top 5% or so as "gifted and talented". As a teacher, I am sure you realise that is a total misnomer. In my opinion, parents should never let that lull them into a false sense of security and think they don't need to do any preparation. My son who just took the test is on the gifted and talented register for several subjects, including English and Maths, at a large middle school. Fair play, he is pretty good at maths, but he is not "gifted" at English, he is rubbish. He has a bit of a flair for creative writing but he hardly ever reads and his spelling is truly shocking. He is only in the top 5% because the general standard is so low. Of the children in the core gifted and talented group (registered for 2 or more subjects) a fair few took the 11+ this year and more failed than passed.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I agree about gifted. I am the co ordinator for it at my school. She is extremely able in maths though. I will check her standardised score.
I would concur that maths is probably the area where practise/tutoring could make a difference. I also agree that reading is key for the English. Wide reading.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I disagree, reading is not key if the child is gifted at English. My DS passed every exam sat this year and at best has read 10 books from reception to now. Reading is needed for the norm. Based on my assessment, my DS is gifted in English based on factual evidence.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay. Change that.
Reading or exposure to quality, varied language is key.
You cannot have a truly gifted child without having exposure to rich language/vocabulary.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

DS tried shakespeare, found it dull. Preferred his monthly top gear more interesting...oh my god, Jeremy clarkson is responsible for helping my gifted DS... :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Aha! You see? I said 'wide reading'. I did not state books per se.
My son discovered books quite late; preferring car magazines such as Top Gear etc.
But there needs to be exposure to varied, rich, quality, challenging language.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now