Rugby High School - New Uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Learning Fast

Rugby High School - New Uniform

Post by Learning Fast »

I am delighted that my daughter earned a place at Rugby High School.

I've just been out to get the new uniform. I have to say I'm astounded that you can only buy the uniform from 2 shops - isn't that an illicit cartel? Are the school making a hidden profit from this?

I'm also amazed at the prices for their 'regulation' wear. For example their skirt is c£23 whereas an almost identical skirt can be bought in Asda for £3. The Asda one is also perma-crease, so no worries about ironing those pleats. (I can't help but comment that on the induction day, the day after an incredibly hot day and looked like it was going to be a hot day again in the morning, how such a large percentage of the girls were wearing trousers not the skirt. That clearly demonstrates how much the current girls dislike the school skirt currently allowed.)

The polo shirts are what £15 yet Tesco have them in from 75p. Similar price comparison can be made with all the items at various outlets - not just these exampls given. Even Marks & Spencers would be cheaper, and all Mums will know what good quality their school uniform is.

I can afford this, but not everyone can. My question is why they choose such an expensive range when it is so unnecessary to do so. They could equally have chosen a range from a supermarket or high street outlet which would have given the same result of all the pupils uniform being the same, so that can't be the criteria. At the rate they grow then we're buying new uniform regularly anyway, we replace them with larger sizes before they wear out anyway. Also at such low prices it is more affordable to have more - thus sharing the wear more - and replace them sooner. So wear and tear isn't really an issue.

I'm also now stuck as the suppliers have told me they dont think they actually make a skirt in my daughter's size. She is tall but not the tallest, and to get a skirt long enough I would have to get one 6 inches too wide. As an 11 year old she hasnt grown the hips yet to hold up the below waist skirt so she's faced with either getting one that is tight now - so goodness knows what that would be like in a few months time - or one which is so loose it falls straight off her. The shop suggested we move the button over a little - great so the skirt looks kinky as well as too short - kinky in another way too I suppose! What is it with these schools?

Finally in my rant - why didn't the school consult the new pupils? They will have to wear the new uniform for 5 years. The year 8s will only have to wear it for 3 years as they get a further year to wear their existing uniform. The year 9s will only have to wear it for 2 years, and the year 10s will only have to wear it for 1 year. Thus those consulted with will have to wear it a total of 6 school years - barely more than this year's intake alone. Can anyone who saw the consultation tell me whether they consulted on having pleated skirts only (ie not plain skirts as opposed to not trousers) and having such an expensive range only? I rather suspect they kept that firmly off the agenda. I did ask the school but they avoided answering my question and just said the school consulted 'widely.'

Sorry had to get that off my chest. When I grew up my parents skimped and saved and worked really hard, this included shopping around at great length to save money on uniform. Its the unnecessary extra cost which I have the biggest grip with, and I can afford it. I'm concerned for others and wonder if anyone else feels the same.
mitasol

Re: Rugby High School - New Uniform

Post by mitasol »

Hi Learning Fast,

You might like to have a look at the following thread http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sally-Anne has outlined the admissions code in regard to uniform.
Learning Fast

Post by Learning Fast »

Thank you for that. That is very interesting. I cant believe no one commented on that guidance when they 'consulted widely' over the uniform.

Rugby High have just changed their uniform so there is no second hand shop to buy anything in. I really like the idea of having a school badge you can sew on to items like blazers - that would save a lot of money.

So, would any one dare tell the school now that their school uniform policy is so naughty? How to set your daughter up for a rough ride alright!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Thanks for your post Learning Fast. I am glad to know that I am not the only one slightly miffed at the restrictions on the school uniform. My wife found identical blouses, skirts etc from online suppliers at about 60% the price charged by the two Rugby shops. She also did a check on the regulations and found that this sort of restrictive supply is not allowed and the school should also supply details of online suppliers as additional competition. There was also an interesting line on school uniforms - must be affordable for all and if it is not then parents should approach the school, and the school should either allow the student to wear non regulation (cheaper) uniform or supply the child with the correct uniform themselves. The basic point is that if the correct uniform cannot be afforded then it is up to the parent to pass it onto the school for them to sort it out. My hunch is that many parents will not approach the school, when they are perfectly entitled to do so.

I have totaled the uniform costs and it is approx £300 for all of the items for one year. This seems slightly excessive for a state school (I would accept it for an indie). I think that there will be many others disgruntled at the cost of RHS uniform this year. Maybe RHS will do something about it in the future?

Last gripe, I think it was at the open evening that the head said they had found a blazer for under £30. Well, the uniform suppliers are selling them at £36 - out by 20%.

Has anyone else found other issues with the RHS uniform?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Year 10-sized blazer for Stratford Grammar cost more than £65 last week... It almost makes RHS sound cheap!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I think I paid £50 for the blazer. However, a colleague who's son is at a state non- grammar paid £10 more.
Learning Fast

Post by Learning Fast »

I think I could cope with one expensive item like a blazer. Rugby High School 'sold' the idea to parents of the blazer on the basis of how inexpensive it would be, I thought under £25 was mentioned but it might have been under £30. Either way its clearly not what they told us. We have to get exactly that one, not a generic one and sew a badge on, not any old blue shirt £3 for 2 in most supermarkets but £9.99 each, the regulation skirt for £23.99 each (which is supposed to sit on the hip not the waist although they seem to have forgotten most year 7s dont have hips yet) the regulation PE top - the regulation trousers - every single item is regulation. I've spent £230 so far and I've not got it all yet. If a parent cant afford it and sends their daughter in with supermarket equivalent then you can be sure others will notice and the whispering will start. Children can be so cruel.

I was in the Webb Ellis the other day and they said they would extend the 10% off everything in July to Monday 1st August - so its not too late if you want to get what discount you can. They also advised against cutting tags off yet and labelling the clothes in case your daughter has a growth spurt over the summer - I guess they've had that before!
Learning Fast

Post by Learning Fast »

I have just seen there is a HUGE discussion about this on the Money Saving Expert website at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... 314&page=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sorry if I'm not supposed to post links. There's a huge number of aggreived parents out there who baulk at having to buy 'regulation' uniformed when the same costs far less in the supermarkets.

Someone did helpfully point out that Tescos do an embroidering service and will embroider school logos on if needed. They do primary and secondary sizes. I have therefore nominated Rugby High School to Tescos and they should approach the school to advise them of this service. Then parents can get 'regulation' uniform but at decent prices. If any other parents or interested parties would like to nominate Rugby or indeed any other school for this service just go to https://www.clothingattesco.com/icat/embschoolwear/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . :D With apologies again if we're not supposed to post links.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

interesting how supermarkets can provide the clothes so cheap ? I can't help feeling that yet again they are selling cheap (where do they get the stuff from?) and putting independents out of business.

.... also WHY do schools have sweatshirts - shirts ties and jumpers look a lot better??

Rant over :oops:
Learning Fast

Post by Learning Fast »

I agree with you, sweatshirts do not look very smart at all.

Supermakets can sell cheaply because they buy in bulk. The quality is not going to be the same as say Marks and Spencers but as children grow so fast at that age you can replace them with appropriate sizes more frequently than with expensive uniform where its too big one year and too small the next!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now