Absent Teachers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

magwich2

Absent Teachers

Post by magwich2 »

Does anyone else have the same concerns as we do about the number of cover lessons at DD's school?
I was hoping that there might be a new leaf being turned over this academic year but so far this is not the case.
DD has missed 2 out of 6 lessons today - one was just a cover lesson and a bit of a waste of time but the other was the last lesson before some GCSE coursework tomorrow with no opportunity to obtain any guidance (this being the first piece of such work). Neither teacher was ill and there were no emergencies in the school today.

Last year DD missed nearly 10% of lessons in similar circumstances.
One pupil in one of the sciences in year 13 kept a log and reported that the teacher was only fully present for 10, yes TEN lessons in the A2 year.

Comments to the teacher by the pupil were apparently met with a "joke" comment that they would be the one marking their coursework.

DH is a teacher and has never missed a lesson when he was in school - he has only been absent through snow preventing him attending and on one afternoon when the cat died.

What on earth can we do to improve matters?
hermanmunster

Re: Absent Teachers

Post by hermanmunster »

I find the same sometimes .. seems that some subjects become the domain of cover teachers...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We have the same and my DCs always say "we had a cover teacher so weren't really doing anything". Why not, it's your GCSE year?
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

having said that, the best DS (Domestic Science) lesson ever was with the maths teacher... all girls school, very few male teachers and he really hadn't a clue! (well it was back in the 70's :oops: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now