Ashlawn V LSS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Janeymorris

Re: Ashlawn V LSS

Post by Janeymorris »

One thing I found useful was to encourage my DS to have a chat with children already at the school on the open days ( went twice to AS and LSS) and for my DS he was very much swayed on AS. However, the boys in his class who went to LS were very keen on LSS. We didn't mind either, but did feel he would do better at AS so were happy to go with his preference.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I was talking to the head of languages at AS about which school. My dd did very well in the language aptitude test - 3 points off a pass - she found it easy. I wanted to know if this test meant she was really likely to be good at languages. The head said it was a good indicator.

I went on to explain the dilemma of AS v RHS because AS do German, RHS don't. She said - ah, that is because RHS probably do Latin. (RHS does indeed do Latin.) She said my dd would go into the grammar stream at AS and get a very good broad education and get as many gcse's as she would at RHS. I noticed she didn't say A levels. She is probably right.

I also listened to some year 11's discussing AS' open evening for the sixth form. They were saying it is as stressful choosing the right A levels and sixth form as it had been choosing secondary school. I never thought to enquire about the sixth form and its results - does anyone know if AS gets good A level results? I can't believe they're as good as RHS.

Just another thing to think about when choosing schools!
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

If you look at the ashlawn website you will see that they have some veryvgoodcresults and an awful lot of links with industry, as well as links with Birmingham and Cambridge uni, I.d cross that bridge when the time comes !
ginx

Post by ginx »

Janeymorris,

I was in the AS staff room last week and saw three letters from Cambridge; two AS students are doing law, the other is studying veterinary science.

Not bad!

But my ds is in year 10, in just one year he will have to decide where to go. Fingers crossed he'll get the grades he needs (A's or B's) in his chosen A level subjects, or else we'll have to look at Rugby and Leamington Colleges. I'm not sure he's mature enough to go to a college! I can't imagine him remembering his lunch box, let alone catching a bus and going to Leamington from here!

It comes around quickly ....
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

Hi, a bit late but in conclusion, Ashlawn is the better school by both results and Ofsted. In November 2013, Ashlawn was judged to be Outstanding in every category. In 2013, Ashlawn's grammar stream achieved 100% 5+ A*-C GCSE grades including Maths and English and 50% of those were A*-A which beats every school in Rugby. In terms of A-Level results, Ashlawn achieved 99% A- Level Passes in 2013 which is 1% lower than LSS but the same as RHS. My son currently attend Ashlawn and he is a Level 7 and 8 in every subject which is due to the Outsanding quality of teaching there. He says that those grades are the average grades in his class which illustrates that students there are of a very high ability. Ashlawn also has strong links with Cambridge University and Ashlawn students are more likely to gain admission at Cambridge University than other schools. Recently, my son went on a school trip to Cambridge University as well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now