North warwickshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Atwala

North warwickshire

Post by Atwala »

Hi we live in the north Warwickshire area and my son will be sitting the 11+ this September for 2014. I'm hoping to apply for Lawrence Sheriff Grammar School for boys. I know we do not fall in the catchment areas, but what chance will he have if he passes the 11+? Any ideas?? If he doesn't get in what other grammar schools should I be looking at?? This is my very first post so please be gentle if this has already been asked before.
Okanagan

Re: North warwickshire

Post by Okanagan »

In Warwickshire (unlike some other areas which still have grammar schools) there isn't really such a thing as "passing the 11+". The schools have a fixed number of places and they fill them with students with the highest scores first - so that a score which gets a plae in one year, may not in another. In practice the scores required don't very enormously (although this year some of the schools have extra places, so the scores will probably be a bit lower for those schools than they have been historically).

From North Warwickshire you will probably be outside of the priority area for Lawrence Sheriff - although a few place, e.g. Ansty, Withybrook, do fall inside the outer priority area (check the priority circle map). Places will be initially offered to those who live within the priority area. There are actually two parts to this - in inner and an outer area, which affects the scores required - typically those in the outer area require a higher score to get a place. If you outside of this circle then places cannot be offered in the first round, but may be offered from the waiting list to those with high scores if any of those initially offered a place subsequently turn it down (e.g if they opt for independent schools instead). In practice to get an out of priority area place you will need to be gettign a higher score than you would if you were inside the priority area.

From North Warwickshire, depending upon where you are and what the transport links are like, you could also have a look at the Birmingham grammars.
Atwala

Post by Atwala »

Ok thanks for that, we are currently in the Bedworth area. Can anyone tell me if the school provide transport at all?? I'm also looking to move so that we fall into the catchment area. Thanks again.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There are buses if you're in the priority area. If you call the school they can probably give you details of the routes the various school buses take.
cam

Post by cam »

Or the train from Nuneaton, it's then just a short walk up the hill from the station to school. A lot of boys do it.