Stratford Up Avon Grammar School for Girls open day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Stratford Up Avon Grammar School for Girls open day

Post by um »

I attended the 'open day' today advertised as being between 11am - 2pm.
Unfortunately I just missed the only talk (I was not aware it would be dead on 11am) and was then taken round a few blocks to see some empty and dark classrooms, a crowded music block entrance and a library. Then it was over and we went home. There were parents arriving even then (about 12 midday) so many of us missed the talk.
No prospectus or info...just one A4 sheet on the school was given out.
The girls who took us round were obviously lovely, but being from Yr 7 were unable to answer most parents' questions about the school, curriculum, etc. I felt it was unfair to ask any questions of them as they were so young. I think they felt aware that many girls in our 'group' were feeling rather glum and underwhelmed so I must admit I felt a bit sorry for them. One teacher was friendly and spoke to us briefly (Latin) but there were no others to be seen.
For a journey that was about 50 minutes each way, and being a bit of a veteran of Grammar (and comprehensive school) open days and evenings, I must admit I'm somewhat surprised.
I had initially wanted Stratford Girls to be my second choice as it is a straight train journey from us. Now I'm sure that my daughter would be much happier at KE Handsworth, despite the journey. I'm now becoming unsure whether I even want to put her through the Warks exam (she felt as unwelcome as I did) but I want to give the school a chance and so I'd really appreciate any more info. Did anyone hear the talk? Or have any more information about the school?
You're welcome to pm if you'd prefer but best to put the info on the forum for all parents.
Thank you.
laurabiscuit

Re: Stratford Up Avon Grammar School for Girls open day

Post by laurabiscuit »

We had a good open evening last year and were disappointed to only make it to the waiting list. The school has other shortcomings that are visible at an open event, but if staff and pupil attitude (and interaction) are the main ones from today, I would recommend trying to get to see the school again, as this was one of the (personal experience) positives for us last year.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

It was a long time ago (DD is now Year 11 at Shottery) but we felt pretty much the same as Um after our Open Evening tour. However, we went back during a normal day and the rest - as they say - is history! DD has had an incredible 5 years at the school.

The girls take it in turns to be on duty to show people round the school during the working day so you can phone up to make an appointment.

Please don't let the Open Day put you off!
um

Post by um »

Thanks for that.

I did feel unsure about turning down a school because of a 30 minute experience but it was certainly a rather bizarre experience. Last night another two parents called me to say they had been and felt the same, so clearly it wasn't just me!
I am reluctant to make the journey again and take another day off school for dd, but I will wait and see the results in October.
If it does come down to a choice that includes Stratford Girls' Grammar, I hope the school will let me come back and gain a better picture!
kongo1959

Post by kongo1959 »

I Think you have to go with a mixture of gut feeling, results and other peoples experiences of what it's like at the school. I've attended four school open day/evenings in the last couple of years and all could be described as somewhat shambolic probably due to the amount of people suddenly converging on the school at this given time.

My dd is starting SGGS in September and whilst I found the open day underwhelming I was more impressed with the welcome evening / induction days last week, plus also knowing someone who has just finished year 13 helped to shape my feelings towards the school.

Hopefully in a few years time I'll be as happy as Warks mum about the decision to send dd there.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I have heard quite a few people are leaving "incredible" Shottery for KES's sixth form though..........
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now