...the final push

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JamesDean

Re: ...the final push

Post by JamesDean »

We are Central Warks! :lol:
But we are also looking at the S Warks grammars as an option for DS, Brum Mum. I went to AGS and would love my children to attend but the travel options are a challenge!

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Yay - there are two of us! :lol:
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I have been lurking for most of the past year. I did post last year, but quite frankly some of the parents here last year were a little too opinionated and pushy for my liking, and I didn't want to expose myself to that this year. I may be worried about the 11+, but my son isn't and I did not want to infect him with my insecurities!

Fortunately everyone is far more civilised this year!

Our son will be sitting the East Warks exam this year. In terms of recent prep, we have been doing the Bond 10 minute tests and practice papers. We have not been pushy, as the emphasis has been on relaxed confidence that he has done a lot of prep over the year, he has worked hard, he is a bright lad, that he will easily pass, and that whatever happens he is not a failure.

We have had a tutor since Oct last year which constitued one hour of tutoring plus extra homework a week. The pleasing thing for me was our boy happily made time for the homework every week, we didn't really need to nag him, which stands us in very good stead for whichever secondary school he attends.

I worry about his relative lack of ability in English compared to all other academic subjects, but am proud of his fantatsic ability in non verbal reasoning. I will not miss trying to explain some of the answers in those past NVR papers!

Still considering the options in terms of schools. Independent school is a viable, but secondary option but we will need to make some significant sacrifices. However it is refreshing to think that independent school is plan B, and that state school is plan A. This is completely different to my thinking ten years ago, when I was younger, had more money and fewer kids!

Now a question for the forum....what the **** is a DD, DC etc. I understand the reference but what does it stand for?...(Or is this a part of the NVR test and I have just failed?...)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Welcome, Fatnorville - now we are 3 :)

DS = dear son; DD = dear daughter; DC = dear children; etc.

HTH (!)

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Welcome Fatnorville.

Wow - three of us! :D
Sosalou

Post by Sosalou »

Hi! I'm East Warks. Think I'm a lurked! I've been lurking because it's taken me a while to understand all the codes and jargon. I've got 3dds and eldest hoping to get into RHS. Only found this forum a few weeks ago. At first it panicked me now and now I find it reassuring and helpful. Think we've started the whole preparation thing a little late in the day- started mid- July! Do you have to pay for the online tests?
Mums23

Post by Mums23 »

Hi,

My DD is going to sit for South Warwickshire exam.

We started the prep late, no tutoring, doing Bond as suggested by one of the mums here.
Planning to order 10 min tests for her to do.
Lets see.

Good luck to all parents & DC. :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi to those parents in East Warwickshire!

My dd scraped through last year, after obviously fantastic tutoring from me :lol:

She did Bond papers, and insists the Maths ones helped her, but nobody else on here agreed with that, so she probably got that wrong. She said she went as quickly as she could and even "guessed" a couple of answers (which I find worrying as she is not an obvious grammar school candidate).

She didn't get grade 6's in her Sats (although everyone else at her school did for maths). In the 11+ to everyone's surprise she did better in maths than nvr or english. She says she thinks working quickly was important.

She did say there were some "impossible" maths questions.

I wish you all good luck, especially those who have started late and are tutoring themselves; it takes time and patience. But that worked for us. No pressure - dd says she didn't expect to pass, but wanted to, as she liked the gs, so she tried in the exam.

When your dc comes out of the exam, one thing I tried not to do was to compare notes with other dp's about exams. Pride certainly came before a fall for those dc who said the exam was "easy". My dd said she had no idea how well she had done, but she found the exam difficult. She did no work the week before, we had no extra early or late nights, routine just the same as usual. She said she felt no pressure and felt that helped her. One of her best friends went to pieces during the exam, some dc just can't cope with exams.

Good luck to all dc taking the exam. Especially in East Warwickshire! And I am sure there are more than 3 dc taking the exam here!
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Another East Warwickshire parent plugging away, my DD has been tutored since Sept in a group it has been OK. I have been working with her a bit over the summer and I have filled a lot of gaps that I didnt realise she had, the tutor was good because it made her work a bit each week but she has certainly benefitted from the one to one this summer. we can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and cant wait for it to be over.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Had above parapet. I'm here.
Last edited by Yamin151 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now