Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brum Mum

Re: Count down begins ....

Post by Brum Mum »

It would be, but I think its starting to become unlikely. :roll:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

In a way I'm tempted to just fill in the application form with what we want and burn the d*mn envelope when it arrives. Like in the old days - just wait until March and what will be, will be .... But then, I am the world's worst at putting things off and burying my head in the sand! Just call me an ostrich :lol:

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

JamesDean wrote:In a way I'm tempted to just fill in the application form with what we want and burn the d*mn envelope when it arrives. Like in the old days - just wait until March and what will be, will be .... But then, I am the world's worst at putting things off and burying my head in the sand! Just call me an ostrich :lol:

JD
That would be preferable to a borderline result!
Salapanda

Post by Salapanda »

All a friend of mine in Walsall got told when the QM 11+ results were sent out a few weeks ago was that her daughter got 30 marks more than last year's pass mark......

Imagine only having that to go on!
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Salapanda wrote:All a friend of mine in Walsall got told when the QM 11+ results were sent out a few weeks ago was that her daughter got 30 marks more than last year's pass mark......

Imagine only having that to go on!
I'd be very happy with being told that DS got 30 marks higher than last year's AQS!! :lol:

We thankfully get a bit more information :D
Salapanda

Post by Salapanda »

Lol! Wouldn't we all! But what if you were only 5 marks over, or 5 under? At least being given the ranks, you do have a better indication.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Salapanda wrote:Lol! Wouldn't we all! But what if you were only 5 marks over, or 5 under? At least being given the ranks, you do have a better indication.
Yes, yes we would :lol:

I think between the score and ranking, it will help, but I would be surprised if anyone really feels properly reassured until allocations day.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Here are the stats that Okanagan posted for last years AQS and lowest ranking offers made (for all children - the boy/girl, south/east rankings are in the sticky at the top of the forum).

King Edward VI Stratford 333 / 342nd
Stratford Girls Grammar 321 / 517th
Alcester Grammar 314 / 632nd
Lawrence Sheriff 309 / 712th
Rugby High 300 / 889th
Ashlawn Selective 302 / 841st

HTH,

JD
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, still here thinking of you all.

A year ago, dd2 got just 5 marks above the highest pass mark over the last four years at gs, but her ranking meant that she had to have a place - really - but I worried on until March, I wanted to see it in black and white.

Is it bragging? She got 315 and came 73rd. As her gs were taking 120 girls, the ranking suggested she would get there, but her score wasn't exactly brilliant. A friend of hers got in with 299. Okanagan has the lowest mark as 300, so I do not understand this result of 299.

All the girls discussed their marks and rankings on Monday. One thing not to do, in my opinion, is not to tell your dc what they got. A friend didn't tell her dd anything about her marks, except that she hadn't made it, and this girl felt terrible on Monday as she couldn't contribute to the conversation which everyone took part in, including friends who hadn't passed.

This girl had a slim chance of passing, but she suffers from terrible exam nerves, which shows how unfair the system is - she had no pressure on her, but she looked unwell and was shaking with fear and felt sick. She did very badly and was ranked very low, so after some terrible arguments with her dd, the mother eventually made up the results, and said she had got 290 and come 130th - or something like that. Whilst the girl didn't expect to get to the gs, I think the mother should have said something to her dd2. Would you tell your dc their results if they had done really badly?
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

What a shame - it really does illustrate how hard it is on the poor DC's. One of DC's friends looked frightened half to death, but came out looking better.

Well done to Little Ginx though :D

Now there's a conundrum...would I tell him if he's done really badly?...I think I'd gently say that I didn't think he had done as well as he hoped, but I know that he had given it his best go and that sometimes things don't go the way you expect. I'd then ask if he wanted to know, whilst trying to allude that it might not be good news. In theory. IRL I have no idea!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now