Grounds

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JMW

Grounds

Post by JMW »

deleted
Last edited by JMW on Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brum Mum

Re: Grounds for appeal

Post by Brum Mum »

Hi - there's an appeals section of the forum - I'm sure one of the very knowledgeable people there will be able to give some help.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Have you submitted your application yet? If you put Shottery first, even if you don't get allocated a place on March 3rd you will automatically be put on their waiting list. Places are then allocated from the waiting list as and when they become available (up to Christmas I believe). But if you don't put them first, you'll then have to request this on March 3rd.

As for appeals, I don't really know, but I think you'd need to prove that your DD was academically best suited to a grammar rather than a high school (SATS predictions, school reports etc). I'm not sure they take family circumstances into account - its all about ability :(

JD
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Start by reading the appeals section of the forum if you haven't done so already.

There were 9 offers from the waiting list for SGS last year, so there is some movement. There's also a small chance that extra places in the Birmingham schools may mean that one of two who might have taken SGS places go there instead.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'd have to agree with JamesDean. I think if you could prove that your daughter is high level 5/6 via SATS/CATS school work etc and were able to prove that your other child's ill health detrimentally affected her on the day of the 11+ then you might be able to explain a one or two points down score. However, the fact that you say she is not particularly motivated doesn't really go in your favour - if she is borderline, she needs to be super motivated to succeed in the GS - I'm not sure that the convenience to you of her being in Shottery is a particularly strong argument on its' own. (And I don't mean that to sound harsh, so apologies if it does) I would definitely recommend reading the many and varied appeal threads on this forum (and others) as you need to be very prepared both literally, and emotionally, if you plan to go to appeal - I would also recommend you putting Shottery as your first choice - you never know what other girls will put! (And I have just seen that Okanagan has just written this too in a much more informed way!) Good luck!