Waiting List thread - come and join me!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Waiting List thread - come and join me!!

Post by Yamin151 »

aaronmum wrote:Has anyone got more information regarding waiting list for KES? Thank you
21 on the list, scores above 220 only
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

My DD currently 17th on waiting list for AGS with a score of 211 and being about 7.5 miles from the school. I expect her to go down before she goes up!!

When I rang this morning they did say the waiting list may already contain some people who didn't put AGS down originally but qualify with scores, if they have been in touch within the last week to ask to go on the list.

She suggested I ring back at the back end of next week once the first lot of offers have gone out.

Anyone else? Aaaaargh!
JMW

Post by JMW »

We are 11th on the W/L for AGS but really want Stratford Grammer Girls School SGGS where we are 17th on their waitlist. I asked if they expected more to go on the waitlist - she said there might be more from Northants area.
Last year they offered for SGGS from Rank 167th girl on offer day(march 1st) to rank 190th southern girl off the waiting list e.g. 23 ranked girl places further down. As only 9 offers were accepted, this means quite a few who were on the wiaitlist must have turned them down or had another school as first preference or didn't even apply to grammer school in the first place. For AGS they offered from Rank 411 child on offer day to rank 458 southern child off the waiting list. Again 47 ranked places but only 25 places actually accepted.

So my thoughts are that not everyone above you in the waitlist accepts and not every one above you has this school as there first choice and they may be hanging out for another school and not eveyone above you in the 11 plus rankings is above you on the waitlist as they might not even applied to a warwickshire grammer school or to both AGS and the single sex options. For example if we got offered SGGS we would come off the AGS waiting list altogether...Welcome any other musings on the subject....
MrsJHomme

Post by MrsJHomme »

Yes Sherlock I will join you with aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh it's so close and so frustrating. We are on 4.3 miles AGS!! And we were not late etc etc

I am trying to stay positive but also to stay positive about the possibility DD may stay where she is or take up our second choice offer.

Are you planning to appeal Sherlock?
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

I don't think we will appeal. Having read the grounds on which you can appeal I don't think we have grounds. She's on 5A's across the board and I think that means she performed within the range of her ability - if at the lower end. I don't have evidence to show to the contrary. Her tutor did expect her to pass but didn't seem amazed she is on the w list. We did go into this thinking she had a good chance but could just miss out, it's just now she has set her heart on it and has worked so hard I don't want to see her disappointed. I can't argue the examination process wasn't administered properly either so I think that leaves me nowhere to go.
Unless I have missed something?

Are you going to appeal and if so on what basis?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

MrsJHomme wrote:45 children on the waiting list for AGS
Does anyone know historically what sort of percentage off the waiting list get an offer?
Last year there were 25 offers from the waiting list.
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

Okanagan - do you mean 25 offers made or 25 places filled from the waiting list? There seems to be anecdotal evidence that some people on the waiting list turn down offers which would make a difference.
Thanks in advance
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

"Offers made" is what we've been told - I don't have a definitive description of whether that means places from the waiting list or not though. There will probably be some who have accepted indies or other offers (e.g. from waiting lists for other schools) in the meantime so it is probable that some waiting list places are turned down. Remember that it is possible to be on the waiting list for more than one school so some of those on the AGS list may also be on lists for KES, SGGS or one or more of the Birmingham schools.
MrsJHomme

Post by MrsJHomme »

Thanks Okangan, guess we will just have to wait and see as there are just no black and white answers only best guesses on previous evidence.

Sherlock, I / We are the same as you, our DD is 5as across, though is going in for paper 6 in English in May, and you're right they have tried so hard and it is the disappointment. One of my DDs best friends is in (plus some others from her school) and that has been a real hard thing too as they want to be together. It's hard at that age isn't it? You just want to be with your friends :-)
I can't see any grounds we can appeal on, unless we are missing some thing too.
Tramps13

Post by Tramps13 »

If this is any help, my DD was on the waiting lists for AGS and SGGS last year. She started on AGS at about 8 and SGGS at around 22 (sorry, my memory is a bit poor). We accepted a place at the beginning of April for AGS. At the end of last year she was 8th on the list for SGGS.

The decision to appeal is a very difficult one to take. On the one hand it is extremely stressful, and you sometimes can't see the point. On the other, if you don't do it, you always have that nagging feeling that maybe you should have given it a try. We lodged an appeal for SGGS (her two sisters are there) but eventually decided not to pursue it. I did a lot of work at the time (FOI requests etc.) around the weighting system as my DD is a Summer baby. If your DD is the same, you may want to look at this.

Sherlock/Mrs H, I hope things work out, I have my fingers crossed for you.