2013 Warwickshire exam feedback please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kittymum

Re: 2013 Warwickshire exam feedback please

Post by kittymum »

gideon wrote:I see no difference in reading a book for 2 hours a day and doing maths for NVR etc for 2 hours.

I do not know many children with high scores who did not prepare.
I'm going to ignore all your releasing material / levelling the playing fields comments because, as JD said *yawn*!

You see no difference in reading and doing NVR? Oh what a grey dull world you live in! Reading is about imagination and creativity - in can transport you to another world - it shows you the world is without limits! Now I rather like NVR it's quite fun but it sure as anything doesn't do those things.

Regarding your other comment yes prepare can come in many forms but with respect you don't know all the children in the cohort and those you do know are probably the children of friends and so are likely to share the same ethos as yourself.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Concerned Parent 72 wrote:it did not sit comfortably with me that people think its ok to send exam content to people only known via postings on here whatever the best intentions are. I'm sure the current crop of moderators have those best intentions but I think asking for questions to be sent is still wrong prior to the end of 11+ sittings and how can you ensure that all moderators in the future will have the same pure ethos?
gideon wrote:2. For users, we do not know who moderators are, whether they have been vetted or met by anyone. We don't know if they belong to a tuition centre. My view, is we can trust them no more or less than anyone else on the forum. (I do not know if a moderator is male of female... one can hide this, in otherwords we have no idea to their identity). Why trust a face-less person?
Such a lot of cynicism! If you look at the details of the Moderators, you will find some curious facts:

1. 16 out of the 17 Moderators are among the top 100 posters on the forum.

2. Between them, the Moderators have made over 46,000 posts, more than 10% of the total, every one of them on an entirely voluntary basis as a service to parents.

3. Of the first 100 people to join the forum after it started in 2005, 6 of them are Moderators.

Our personal investment in this website and forum is very considerable indeed, and not one of us would allow anything disreputable to be done in the name of elevenplusexams.

Decisions on appointing Moderators are taken by the "Forum Moderators" Group, which consists of Patricia, Etienne, myself, chad, yoyo123, hermanmunster, stevew61, Bewildered and KenR. Every one of us has been a member since at least 2007, and most of us even longer than that.

With a combined experience of more than 70 years on the forum, we have a very well-developed sixth sense for people who are not what they claim to be. Decisions on appointing new Moderators are very carefully considered, especially where the prospective Moderator is a tutor. (Several Mods are, or have been tutors.) The question we always ask ourselves is whether the prospective Moderator takes this view of life ...
gideon wrote:As for emotive language "cheating", I am not aware of any law stating passing on content is cheating. It may be playing the system. Then again. I fail to understand the logic of using the same test on may occasions - knowing the risks. Some schools play the system by children sitting 15-16 GCSEs to be top of league tables (exam factories). Is this "cheating"? Neither are cheating, but I would suggest neither are fair or honourable tactics, but permitted in law. Human nature involves gaining an advantage, be it tuition or legally avoiding tax. It is up to those in power to stop this, which they cannot ;)
... or whether they set themselves a higher moral code.

I am pleased to say that the answer in all 17 cases is that they do.

Finally, should you not like the way the forum is run, you are of course free to go elsewhere.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hear! Hear!
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Good to see you off on one again Gideon. In my world sitting late with additional information about the test is unfair to the regular sitters and tantamount to cheating. Getting job interview questions before the interview is cheating. How do you know how many children do well without much preparation. It benefits some to perpetuate the myth that large scale preparation is essential. Oh and your comments equally continue to amaze me. I suspect we have little in common
:lol:
gideon

2013 Warwickshire exam feedback please

Post by gideon »

rabbie burns wrote:. It benefits some to perpetuate the myth that large scale preparation is essential.
Isn't this what LSS, RHS and King Edward Foundation et al claim? Why do they allow pupil premium children lower scores for entry? Isn't a reason for their stance that tuition and preparation has a great advantage, and therefore an implication is is essential?

I suppose eating good quality food is also cheating (it aids development) as are parents preparing their children. Is reading outside school cheating as it aids vocabulary? Anything one does can create an advantage. Is sitting the Bham exam as a free mock cheating as well? ;)

For those in the know "brain dump" sites have been around for years. The tuition centres have large databanks of questions. I suppose this is cheating as well, in which case posting past questions on this site is also cheating.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

gideon wrote:
rabbie burns wrote:. It benefits some to perpetuate the myth that large scale preparation is essential.
Isn't this what LSS, RHS and King Edward Foundation et al claim? Why do they allow pupil premium children lower scores for entry? Isn't a reason for their stance that tuition and preparation has a great advantage, and therefore an implication is is essential?

I suppose eating good quality food is also cheating (it aids development) as are parents preparing their children. Is reading outside school cheating as it aids vocabulary? Anything one does can create an advantage. Is sitting the Bham exam as a free mock cheating as well? ;)

For those in the know "brain dump" sites have been around for years. The tuition centres have large databanks of questions. I suppose this is cheating as well, in which case posting past questions on this site is also cheating.
Oh my! It's Groundhog Day!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Please not groundhog day as well as certain repetitions on here I will be stuck in constant rain with pink eye, (now have drops and antibiotics, as it spent the bank holiday weekend travelling to ears and chest....Well every one needs a holiday, even germs) oh, and husband home, moaning about constant rain and cooking daft food for kids (tacos) and kernel popcorn anyone. :twisted: (house smells like a cinema foyer).

Moan moan moan moan.....

I am sure the lovely people and children of Warwickshire are happy to wait a bit longer for any new vocab listings from last year's test. Presumably last year's are unlikely to be duplicated for a while anyway.
Concerned Parent 72

Post by Concerned Parent 72 »

Worth parents taking a little bit of time to read all the issues covered within this thread following the request by moderators for questions to be sent in following last Septembers 11+.

My views are clear and I won't bore you all be reiterating them but I appreciate others feel differently regarding sending feedback on exam content to different places.

The information sent in by parents whose DC's sat last year will still hopefully be posted here but no doubt getting a bit late for you all.
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

So when will the information of last year's test be posted?
paperino

Post by paperino »

Good question!
Where are all the information sent by pm given on the assumption that they would have been make public later in the year?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now