Support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Support

Post by Ed's mum »

So...we know when and where the tests are taking place. We have less than two weeks before our children are subjected to three potentially life changing hours of hoops to jump through...
Where is everyone? Why is the Warwickshire forum so quiet?
Anyone else feeling the stress?
My son came home from school the other day having scored 99% in a practise test saying that he felt that he had failed because he hadn't scored 100%. I asked him where he had got the idea from that he should be getting them ALL right and he said that I had told him to...!!! I certainly did not tell him this and feel so upset that he feels this amount of pressure.
Obviously we have given him lots of praise for this result and for all the other practise tests he has done at school ( the next day he didn't drop a mark). We have also, increasingly so, made it clear that we feel it is not a case of pass or fail, rather it is about finding the right school to suit the child. After researching the local comprehensive option I am now perfectly content having read the Ofsted report.
We are planning on attending all the available open days for grammar, non-selective state and independent schools which take place in the next couple of weeks or so.
This is an exciting, scary, challenging time for all of us over the next few months...let's support each other!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm here! I'm intrigued that Ed did a practice test at school. We live in Central (not South) Warks, so we have just been sent a "standard NFER" paper - one we already had from Waterstones!

Please can I ask what sort of practice Ed is getting?

It would be great if there were a few more of us to "band together in adversity!"

Post by Guest »

Our school are having nothing to do with the 11+ this year, so no practise in exam conditions and no familiarisation! (South Warks).

Further to a post under the verbal reasoning section I have heard that they are taking a particular question type out (although I'm not sure which!) which would make sense if they say there are only 14 question types!

I have also heard that boys are marked separately from girls and do not have to reach quite the same pass mark! I don't know how true this is and would be very interested if anybody could throw anymore light!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Warks mum wrote:I'm here! I'm intrigued that Ed did a practice test at school. We live in Central (not South) Warks, so we have just been sent a "standard NFER" paper - one we already had from Waterstones!

Please can I ask what sort of practice Ed is getting?

It would be great if there were a few more of us to "band together in adversity!"
Hello!!!
We are East Warks I think. Rugby catchment
To reply: having just quizzed Edward, it seems the school have done at least ten practise tests with them - not advising them how to approach answering the tests etc - giving them virtually exam conditions to plough through them. Some tests of 80 questions and some of 100 apparently but edward is quite scatty so don't hold me to it!!
regarding the practise test that was sent...we had that one all ready also.
I didn't realise that schools were allowed to give children that many hours worth of practise but I cannot really complain. Edward is doing really well at school but coming home stressed as anything.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Anonymous wrote:Our school are having nothing to do with the 11+ this year, so no practise in exam conditions and no familiarisation! (South Warks).

Further to a post under the verbal reasoning section I have heard that they are taking a particular question type out (although I'm not sure which!) which would make sense if they say there are only 14 question types!

I have also heard that boys are marked separately from girls and do not have to reach quite the same pass mark! I don't know how true this is and would be very interested if anybody could throw anymore light!
Not heard any of this Guest about the question type being removed, how interesting.
As for test marking, I suppose in our area it makes sense as the schools are single sex so they would be marked separately as they are only competing with thier own gender for school places. As for 'pass mark' that is almost irrelevent as it is the top 90 girls for Rugby High School and the top 90 boys for Lawrence Sherrif School although LSS sometimes admits above their PAN.
freat to hear from you.
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

I would like to recommend Bablake school in Coventry. I am not in the catchment area for Lawrence Sheriff, so i did not enter my son for their exam. Bablake is an independent school,we managed to get quite a good bursary. My son is very happy there. The school is worth visiting. Sorry to ramble on,but its that time of year,and it is maybe worth looking at a few schools. Good luck to you all. PS. Children travel from Rugby to attend Bablake.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Excuse me asking a possibly cheeky question but without you disclosing too much, perhaps in percentage terms, would you be prepared to disclose how much of a fee reduction the bursary equates to? Genuinely interested and fairly certain that our income is sufficiently low to qualify us for something!!

Post by Guest »

Fees..Approx £2000 term...We recieved 40%...Average income.
Allow for approx 5% rise per annum.
Scholarships up to 100%....Maths,English,music or art.
School is,in my oppinion worth a visit, as i think it is really good value for money. We are very happy. :D Good luck whatever you decide.
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

Sorry, not trying to confuse you but i didn't leave my user name. I left you the message above.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Anonymous wrote:Fees..Approx £2000 term...We recieved 40%...Average income.
Allow for approx 5% rise per annum.
Scholarships up to 100%....Maths,English,music or art.
School is,in my oppinion worth a visit, as i think it is really good value for money. We are very happy. :D Good luck whatever you decide.
I really appreciate your reply. Thank you. Obviously I know it depends upon income but THAT amount is beyond us! The school looks great, I looked it up as soon as I read your message about it the other day. Definitely worth thinking about. I will try to find out when the next open day might be-presumably soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now