KES New parents evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brum Mum

Re: KES New parents evening

Post by Brum Mum »

Yamin151 wrote:Omg, sorry but omg! After 7 years of primary school how the heck am I going to manage all this!?? Overflowing with papers and information, ts terrifying. I'm heartened by the masters seeming totally unconcerned about year 7 boys settling in and catching the bus etc. But its me that needs the help! 2 different schools, both in opposite directions, 2 sets of social things, school things. Agggghhhhh! We are happy with our choices but when reality kicks in, for a while it is a bit terrifying! Thing 2 seems totally relaxed though!
You poor thing - its bad enough having to think of it for DS - but doubled and in different directions will certainly be a challenge! No wonder you are feeling overwhelmed x
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Brum Mum wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:Omg, sorry but omg! After 7 years of primary school how the heck am I going to manage all this!?? Overflowing with papers and information, ts terrifying. I'm heartened by the masters seeming totally unconcerned about year 7 boys settling in and catching the bus etc. But its me that needs the help! 2 different schools, both in opposite directions, 2 sets of social things, school things. Agggghhhhh! We are happy with our choices but when reality kicks in, for a while it is a bit terrifying! Thing 2 seems totally relaxed though!
You poor thing - its bad enough having to think of it for DS - but doubled and in different directions will certainly be a challenge! No wonder you are feeling overwhelmed x
Thank you Brum mum, it is a bit overwhelming. Sure same for many,a nd we did pick this route, could both have gone to grammar 400yds away, but the rest of the time we have never doubted that the schools they and we have picked are much better for them, it's just the logistics added to the huge adjustment from primary to secondary that is threatening to overwhelm me at he moment. Not them as they so live for the moment don't they, and suspect the extra work and the longer days not hit them yet. And theya re end August babies, so so young. Sigh. Hopefully it will all come together.........t hank you x
Amber

Post by Amber »

Poor Yamin. Your post reminded me of myself some 7 years ago when we returned from a year travelling and because of a rather major logistical oversight (we sort of forgot to apply to send the children to school) we ended up with 3 at 3 different schools, 2 of which were not walkable and the one that was was for a Reception child who could hardly be packed off on his own at 830 while I dropped the others off. I remember the feeling of panic very well, partly because I didn't really want them to go to school at all, but also wondering how I would juggle it all.

I coped by making pretty folders for each school, colour-coding my calendar and similar efficient-looking strategies. None of them was the slightest bit of use but gave me a feeling of control at a time when it felt like it was running away from me. By half term we were fine, partly because we had removed the little one from school, I admit, but don't worry, you will cope - mostly. Children are hugely resilient and resourceful themselves and will soon learn to pick up any slack you can't do, especially if they are at risk of being embarrassed. It will encourage them to be independent and take responsibility for their own possessions and work if you can't do it, and these will be excellent habits for them over their school career.

Good luck.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Thank you so much Amber, that is so very reassuring. It must have been so difficult for you with three different schools, esp after being a year out of the melee! I think your folders a nd Callander suggestion is an excellent one, I will do that, I appeals to my need to feel as if I have some control. Even if,as you say, it isn't actually directly helping, it makes you feel like it is and that is half the battle. I am sure you are right and they will learn quickly to be more independent, but primary does tend to leave them in this dependent state doesn't it? Well, I guess you almost have had that.
Thank you so much x
Amber

Post by Amber »

No problem. :D
We've had 3 at 3 different schools for much of the last 7 years and it's really fine. What is very odd is when one leaves - which we are in the middle of now (just doing her A2s) and you realise that phase is over. It really does go by horribly fast once they go to secondary school. :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We in Y7/he in subsequent years created check lists in his room and by the door with what was needed each day e.g. Monday PE kit; it was very helpful.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Four at four different schools here and it can be stressful but generally we muddle through and they all become very independent through necessity! The hardest is clashing parents' eves and similar as they are all so important.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

serendippyty wrote:Four at four different schools here and it can be stressful but generally we muddle through and they all become very independent through necessity! The hardest is clashing parents' eves and similar as they are all so important.
Four at four different schools??? Oh my word! You must be organisational gold!! Very reassuring to hear how indie they become. I think that becUse I am at home they rely on me and I have probably done a lot of the remembering for them, which it don mind whilst at primary, but that will have to change.
Thank you
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:We in Y7/he in subsequent years created check lists in his room and by the door with what was needed each day e.g. Monday PE kit; it was very helpful.
This is an excellent idea! Thank you, I will do that.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yamin151 wrote:
Guest55 wrote:We in Y7/he in subsequent years created check lists in his room and by the door with what was needed each day e.g. Monday PE kit; it was very helpful.
This is an excellent idea! Thank you, I will do that.
Oops! :oops: I'll get THEM to do that!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now