11+ review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest201

Re: 11+ review

Post by guest201 »

I dont understand how your son can be at Ashlawn through his SATs with you living so far away, I was under the impression that SATs we're not an admission criteria. If a child gets into the school by living in catchment having a sibling in the school etc only then do they look at the SATs results and stream the kids accordingly. Did you appeal for a place?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Parmjit123 wrote:My only question is, when do Warwickshire council decide the pass mark? Do they take an average of all the students' scores and go from there or do they decide the pass rate in advance.
I really wouldn't get bogged down in the pass mark, Parmjit. It will change every year, depending on the ability of the cohort, and, as Fatnorville says, is determined after all the results are in.

Looking at the sticky above, Ashlawn has 30 selective places so your DS's aim is to be one of these. Unfortunately, none of us know what the standard of the other candidates are and so all we can do is encourage our DC to do their best.

I'm also confused about the free transport - I thought it was only provided to your nearest school (selective or not) if its over a certain distance. If you choose to send your DC to another, further school, you foot the bill (as we will be). But I could be wrong, as we're not in the east of the county ...

JD
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Parmjit - In addition to the questions above, is Ashlawn your catchment area school or is this Bilton High School?

If it is the latter, then your DS is unlikely to get a place at Ashlawn through the non grammar stream. I think last year Ashlawn took out of catchment children up to a distance of approx two miles from the school. Obviously this changes year on year depending on demand, but eight miles is looking a little too far.

BTW - Ashlawn have a languages aptitude test as another way of gaining entry to grammar scheme? Have you explored this option?
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

Hi Fatnorville,
It's very complicated here. So I'll break it down. In 2011 , my elder son sat the 11+ exam. Our chosen schools were: Lawrence Sheriff, Ashlawn Non-Selective, Blue Coat CofE School (Coventry) and Avon Valley. Yes, our catchment school is Bilton High School and I did not want to send my elder son there and I don't want to send my younger son there either. My elder DS unfortunately passed his 11+ but did not achieve enough marks for LSS. We didn't express Ashlawn Selective as an option for him. So we got the offer in March 2012 and we were offered Bilton. We were all very dissapointed and we wanted him to go to Ashlawn however that was not possible due to the distance from our home to Ashlawn School. I decided to appeal the decision of not admitting to Ashlawn and we were successful. So that is how my elder son is at Ashlawn (year 8 going into year 9 in September). So my younger son should stand a chance since his sibling is at the school. However more importantly we want him to attend Ashlawn Selective. And yes Fatnorville, he has been registered to sit the MFL aptitude test on the 20th September.
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

JamesDean wrote:
Parmjit123 wrote:My only question is, when do Warwickshire council decide the pass mark? Do they take an average of all the students' scores and go from there or do they decide the pass rate in advance.
I really wouldn't get bogged down in the pass mark, Parmjit. It will change every year, depending on the ability of the cohort, and, as Fatnorville says, is determined after all the results are in.

Looking at the sticky above, Ashlawn has 30 selective places so your DS's aim is to be one of these. Unfortunately, none of us know what the standard of the other candidates are and so all we can do is encourage our DC to do their best.

I'm also confused about the free transport - I thought it was only provided to your nearest school (selective or not) if its over a certain distance. If you choose to send your DC to another, further school, you foot the bill (as we will be). But I could be wrong, as we're not in the east of the county ...

JD
Hi JD, transport is only free to your nearest qualifying school but it is free for all selective schools in Eastern Warwickshire
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

guest201 wrote:I dont understand how your son can be at Ashlawn through his SATs with you living so far away, I was under the impression that SATs we're not an admission criteria. If a child gets into the school by living in catchment having a sibling in the school etc only then do they look at the SATs results and stream the kids accordingly. Did you appeal for a place?
Hi guest201
Yes we did appeal
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Parmjit123 wrote:Hi JD, transport is only free to your nearest qualifying school but it is free for all selective schools in Eastern Warwickshire
Blimey! Then your area is extremely lucky and quite unusual, I would think! Given the cuts that have gone on throughout WCC over the past 3 years I'm amazed this remains in place :shock:

JD
Parmjit123

Post by Parmjit123 »

JamesDean wrote:
Parmjit123 wrote:Hi JD, transport is only free to your nearest qualifying school but it is free for all selective schools in Eastern Warwickshire
Blimey! Then your area is extremely lucky and quite unusual, I would think! Given the cuts that have gone on throughout WCC over the past 3 years I'm amazed this remains in place :shock:

JD
Yeah but it's not fair for those students going to non selective schools which aren't their nearest qualifying school!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ok, the crux of the matter is that one way or another your son will almost definitely gain a place at a fantastic school, something that is beyond the grasp of many many parents and that most parents on this forum strive to achieve, so well done.
Your local authority is being incredibly generous compared to most in providing free school transport to selective schools, it is highly likely that this situation will be reversed in the near future, as pressure for financial resources has hit all local authorities hard.
Therefore rather than worrying yourself silly about your son achieving a selected place, focus on ways you could earn/find the extra £600 a year, something over which you will have more control and that will put less pressure on him.

Sorry if that seemed patronising or like a lecture, but I am afraid that is my opinion of your situation.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Thanks for clarifying your situation. My mistake. Your DS's chances of getting a non grammar place have increased massively with an older sibling at the school.