the exam: timing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jacquie

the exam: timing

Post by jacquie »

Re the exam being composed of timed sections does anyone know the definitive answers to the following simple questions :-):

1. Is there a clock in the room? If so is it digital or usual clockface.
2. Is there any prompting to give the children a clue of how time is passing?- Do the invigilators tell the children when they have for example, one minute left?
3.Are children allowed a watch in the exam in order to inform themselves of the time constraints for questions?

AND: If children need the toilet when the exam is underway, what happens?
Are they taken to the toilet with an adult to accompany? Are they allowed added time to visit the toilet?

These are simple questions understandable which children are asking me and I'd like to know too!
JamesDean

Re: the exam: timing

Post by JamesDean »

jacquie wrote: AND: If children need the toilet when the exam is underway, what happens?
Are they taken to the toilet with an adult to accompany? Are they allowed added time to visit the toilet?
Hi Jacquie - I can answer this one ... They are accompanied by an adult and no, no more time is given ... DS has first hand experience of this! :roll:

JD
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

JamesDean wrote:
jacquie wrote: AND: If children need the toilet when the exam is underway, what happens?
Hi Jacquie - I can answer this one ... They are accompanied by an adult and no, no more time is given ... DS has first hand experience of this! :roll:

JD
thought so! How about timings though? :roll: in the old days when it was just VR they used to give the time out on 2-3 occasions- after 25 mins I think and then maybe 5 mins to go and also 2 mins to go...incredibly mean if they give no indication...
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

All instructions are played on a CD, so the children are told how long each section is and, for the longer ones, are told when there's one minute left. And yes, there's a big clock at the front which they should all be able to see. Can't see any problems with them wearing watches ...

Hope that helps,

JD
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

:) Many thanks JD
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

Each section has its own timing and DCs are not allowed to 'go back'. You are permitted to take in your own watch. We bought a cheap one with a stopwatch for DS and showed him how to set it etc. so he could monitor his own progress: and guess any left in a section in the last 30 seconds!

DCs sit in firstly school order (alphabetically) and then alphabetically within the school. The form you completed with photo is on the desk and must be on display so that the invigilator can check the correct person is sitting the exam.

There is a also a break part-way through so they can have a natural break/fag etc. :D

Remember: don't pressure your DC - they can do all they can. If they get into a selective school, well done. If not, then c'est la vie, you have set them up for success, rather than failure.
Sosalou

Post by Sosalou »

My DD1 sat the exam last year and says there were one minute and 10 second warnings given. I'm wondering if her memory is playing tricks because nowhere else seems to mention ten second warnings. Can anyone help?
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

ChilledDad wrote:.

There is a also a break part-way through so they can have a natural break/fag etc. :D

Remember: don't pressure your DC - they can do all they can. If they get into a selective school, well done. If not, then c'est la vie, you have set them up for success, rather than failure.
Agreed. :)