AGS Uniform (again)...sorry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: AGS Uniform (again)...sorry

Post by Yamin151 »

Re rugby boots. As wife of referee and rugby coach (one and the same I should add, I'm not a bigamist!!), he has always bought our boys cheap football boots. Rugby boots far more expensive and don't confer enough benefit to be worth it, and just make sure that they have removable studs(I.e. Not the moulded ones) That way you can replace them with the rugby safety ones, and then keep the studs for each successive pAir.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think the argument about the actual boot (as opposed to the studs) will probably rumble on and comes down to personal preference/cost - rugby backs tend to like lightweight "football type" boots for rugby as they are about being fleet of foot; forwards need the toe protection (from stamping scrums) and ankle guards that rugby boots provide and football boots don't. (I think I remember you saying that your boys were little and wingers, Yamin so football type boots would be ok for them - and obviously you are always buying two sets of everything at the same time so cost is an issue.)

If your dc play a lot of one particular sport and/or to a high level - eg rugby, and you can afford to, then it is worth investing in that sport. One of my boys only plays rugby and at a high level so we spend a lot on a very good quality boot. The other still plays both football and rugby so we buy a mid range boot for each sport.

The studs and the make up of the studs are the issue - you can get rugby boots with moulded rubber studs but most are safety metal studs and certainly not plastic which can split or burr. The referee and player are responsible for making sure that the aluminium is safe to play (all manufacturers have to self certify that their rugby studs meet the IRB requirements)

I understand, from a friend who is currently in SD buying boots, that Alcester Grammar School have said NO screw in studs which would preclude buying a football boot and screwing in rugby studs, so, would recommend, if the OP only wants to buy one boot then rugby would be the way to go in this circumstance.

KES rugby tomorrow is full kit. Coffee and snacks on sale at the pavilion for parents.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:KES rugby tomorrow is full kit. Coffee and snacks on sale at the pavilion for parents.
See you there :D

And sorry to hijack the thread, but in case anyone else is in the same situation as us, I spoke to the KES uniform shop this morning and the polo shirts are not going to be delivered this week after all. School are aware of this and the boys are to wear their rugby shirts.

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh my, am I being stupid here?

My boy has a polo shirt, but I think thats because it was small, they still had one in stock, but she did say at the time that they were waiting for stock.

So tomorrow is full KES rugby kit, i.e. not a pre school, lets not get it dirty til school actually starts home club kit??? :roll: :roll: Oh well, I shall wash his kit before he even starts then!

Take your point KCG, your reasons for our choice of rugby boots were spot on.

Another question - have you all bought a house coloured t-shirt? Son suddenly announced he'd like one! And we have a spare blue one if anyone wants it!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:My boy has a polo shirt, but I think thats because it was small, they still had one in stock, but she did say at the time that they were waiting for stock.
Yes, it was a certain size, Yamin - clearly the most popular, you're lucky your lad is smaller!
Yamin151 wrote:Another question - have you all bought a house coloured t-shirt? Son suddenly announced he'd like one! And we have a spare blue one if anyone wants it!
A what-now? Was that on the list?? He has a green t-shirt, but it also has a shark on it! :lol:

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:My boy has a polo shirt, but I think thats because it was small, they still had one in stock, but she did say at the time that they were waiting for stock.
Yes, it was a certain size, Yamin - clearly the most popular, you're lucky your lad is smaller!
Yamin151 wrote:Another question - have you all bought a house coloured t-shirt? Son suddenly announced he'd like one! And we have a spare blue one if anyone wants it!
A what-now? Was that on the list?? He has a green t-shirt, but it also has a shark on it! :lol:

JD
Oh I'm all for Shark T Shirts! But alas no, this is apparently a house t shirt. I only know because I bought a second hand jumper and it came with a house t shirt, or so my son tells me - a friend picked the clothes up for me so obviously we didn't get clarification from the previous owner - its not a problem, cheap as chips and can go into stock, but I just wwondered if I am meant to be hauling out the groaning credit card again!! :roll: :roll:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Don't panic! The house shirt is defunct. It has been replaced by the PE shirt (called the polo shirt) which is now not coming in till the 8th Sept. For house PE/athletics they will get given a band or something! I think a fair proportion of the year don't have the shirt yet only the extreme sizes. But as JD says, school know so there is no issue for boys using rugby shirt for PE next week.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

The only thing I haven't got on the list are the cricket whites - figured they wouldn't need them until the spring and he'll have grown by then! Please let me know if I'm wrong KCG :D

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Don't panic! The house shirt is defunct. It has been replaced by the PE shirt (called the polo shirt) which is now not coming in till the 8th Sept. For house PE/athletics they will get given a band or something! I think a fair proportion of the year don't have the shirt yet only the extreme sizes. But as JD says, school know so there is no issue for boys using rugby shirt for PE next week.
Great, thank you. United Nations crisis averted!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:The only thing I haven't got on the list are the cricket whites - figured they wouldn't need them until the spring and he'll have grown by then! Please let me know if I'm wrong KCG :D

JD
If you need them before then you can have the pair I bough cheap, which are about 8 inches too long for my DS!!