Charging for Grammar school buses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JamesDean

Re: Charging for Grammar school buses

Post by JamesDean »

Guest55 wrote:I'd rather they cut that than other, more essential, services.
And there lies the problem with all the local authority cuts which have been and continue to take place across the country - every service is essiential to someone ...

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Free buses to a GS are not 'essential' to anyone.

Those on benefits still get the transport free; I really can't see the issue.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"...seems to have made no difference to most..."

Who knows?....There are no statistics on how many people got put off applying in the first place or withdrew from taking the place because they were being asked to pay. The rumour here is that it will cost around £700 per year, per child...I know that, if they do not phase it in (they have mentioned possibly bringing it as soon as September), it is unlikely that people will withdraw their children from school and will (to coin a phrase) "sell a kidney" and find the money - the point being that we all know that ALL GS have low numbers of "officially" low income parents (hence the move to support PP students) - and higher - and rising - numbers of parents who are moving in from the private sector - the rest are "normal" income - surviving but not spending - and things like this - that were not expected or accounted for - will tip precarious family budgets over the edge. I know of families in my village who will simply not apply if they have to pay this - they simply can't. That's fact. We know people who couldn't afford to consider the alternative high school to the catchment one because they would have had to pay to get there, even though, in terms of distance, they are pretty much nose for nose. If a child is deemed to be "in catchment" for a school, be it High School/Upper or Grammar School, if they meet the "entry" requirements (distance/selection/sibling/whatever) then that should be classed as their nearest school - this is what WCC have done to now and, frankly, I think other Councils were wrong to change it. School is compulsory and is, therefore, an essential service.

To be frank, Guest55, you can't see the issue because you are assuming that everyone not on benefits can afford it. You are effectively saying that GS should only be for people who can afford it - with "it" being the transport to the school. Interesting. That is, I have to say a very blinkered view and I know you are better than you are coming across to me. There is a very very small margin between someone who is entitled to full benefits and somebody who gets none. Literally a couple of £s and yet you expect the latter to find the money and can't see the issue? Some families are loathe to access hardship funds in school and will scrimp and save to send their kids on trips - yes there are others who pay for family holidays etc and then say they can't afford things - but a lot of people have more pride than that. It is these who will get impacted the most - there is no benefit there to help them.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Guest55 wrote:Free buses to a GS are not 'essential' to anyone.

Imagine you are a very bright child (future Oxbridge material) whose family are not on benefits but money is extremely tight and you have qualified for a GS 5 miles from home. The nearest US is in special measures. Should this child really miss out on the best school for him/her because of bus fares ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Justinterested wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Free buses to a GS are not 'essential' to anyone.

Imagine you are a very bright child (future Oxbridge material) whose family are not on benefits but money is extremely tight and you have qualified for a GS 5 miles from home. The nearest US is in special measures. Should this child really miss out on the best school for him/her because of bus fares ?
'tis really hard but money is short all round and I can't see this changing to provide transport to a school of parents' choice. Some parents I know in Lancashire (with 6th formers) have declined the offer to spend £900 a year and have a car share with parents taking it in turns to get the kids to school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You misunderstand me - I have NEVER said GS were for the wealthy.

I live in a village where most people are struggling but none of them have changed their options becuase they are having to 'fork out'. If GS is important they have cut other things, as we all do to prioritise what we feel is best for our families.

Everyone has to make economies and this is one I feel is reasonable.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And most families have already made those economies - and some! There is a point at which there is nothing left to cut! But there is still no benefit to pick up the slack.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tell me about it! We have one income but get no help towards uni ... apparently a teacher earns too much. :shock:
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Warks mum wrote:Sorry Magwich, it's been like that for years in Warwickshire. Shottery was our closest grammar school but we've never been eligible for a free bus pass. The only exception may have been for those in the pupil premium category.

I believe there was an exception for some faith schools such as Trinity until relatively recently, but even that was withdrawn.
Not true actually, we have never paid for the bus pass as I simply put on the form I chose our closest mixed grammar and that was classed as a valid reason for transport to be provided. Same as many others. I think though, that some people did not realise you could do this.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

Sorry, my page had not updated so I did not realise this has already been discussed further up! But I disagree with the point that it won't affect people, it WILL have a huge effect on many people actually. If you are on a low income but working and just above the 16k income cut off that enables support with meals etc(think it is 16k), then finding another £650 per child for grammar schools will be very difficult. It is making Grammar schools more and more elitist and it is simply not right. It is bad enough that poorer children are not getting in due to the relentless tutoring that goes on amongst the middle classes which is far too prohibitive costwise, but then to add in these transport costs completely goes against the ethos of the Grammar system. It is flawed enough in favour of the wealthy, this should not be happening.

Grammar schools should be for all children with ability, not tutored, wealthy children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now