Using the Birmingham11+ as practice for Rugby 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jacquie

Using the Birmingham11+ as practice for Rugby 11+

Post by jacquie »

I know of a child who is going to sit both the 11+ exam grammar school entrance for Rugby and Birmingham He lives in Rugby so LSS will be where he wants to go. I think the object would be to gain the advantage of a practice run, because the exams are similar- or even the same? I see on another thread an announcement from Birmingham warning that the first paper will be the score accepted if this (practice )is discovered as having taken place. Any info?
ToadMum

Re: Using the Birmingham11+ as practice for Rugby 11+

Post by ToadMum »

If the exams are both administered by CEM and that is the warning that one or both of the authorities involved have given, then it's more a matter of 'when' it is discovered, rather than 'if', one would think - unless the parents are thinking of entering him for one of the exams under an assumed name?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Thank you. I know this was a practice some time back when the exams differed. Now it seems the exams are linked, it is totally unfair to sit both and likely to even cause disqualification.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Warks and Rugby will have the same exam this year which will be sat on the same day so it is impossible to take it twice. The exam results will possibly be weighted differently for the two areas, when you apply I suppose you say whether it is for Warks ,Birmingham or both(possibly) and the exam is marked and weighted accordingly. A child will sit the exam on 12th Sept and then when they fill in CAF they will put either Warks schools or Birmingham schools.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

That sounds good to me. They state the date given is not guaranteed, though. Why they cannot confirm at this point I do not understand.
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

They can't guarantee that children will sit the test on the main date as it's far from straightforward trying to accommodate 2000 odd children.

It will also definitely be the same test and if anybody tries to cheat by taking it twice (which is the only reason to do so) then only the first score will count.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

You will NOT be able to take the test twice - as it'll be the SAME paper! Warks and B'ham will be sharing data.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

jacquie wrote:They state the date given is not guaranteed, though.
I thought it was those living outside the priority areas who weren't guaranteed the 12th? As for capacity, they certainly use the secondary schools around here on test day and we aren't in either the south or eastern areas! (Although we are within the S Warks priority area.)

JD
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

There is no guarantee that anyone will take the test on the main date although out of areas are normally bumped down the list first.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Detailed information about the test is available on KES web site as follows:-

http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... y-2016.pdf

AS stated by Guest201, it is quite possible that the test will be weighted and scored differently between the two regions:-
Parents/Carers who have either registered with The Grammar Schools of Birmingham
(or have asked that their child’s score be shared with The Grammar Schools of
Birmingham) will receive an additional letter showing their child’s test score and the
minimum score required for entry in the previous three years, together with the
qualifying score for those schools who have set such a score. Warwickshire’s
Grammar Schools and The Grammar Schools in Birmingham may choose to use
different weightings. This means that if your child receives two results letters, their total
scores could be different.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now