Test venues

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nervousmom

Re: Test venues

Post by nervousmom »

I'm sure I read/heard of the possibility of another date due to trying to accommodate all the children.

Why couldn't they have used more schools? That way all tests could be on the Saturday and schools allocated could have been closer to where you live!

3 years ago DS sat Birmingham and Warwickshire, both were on the same day. Birmingham refused to change date, so subsequently those sitting both did the Birmingham first and the Warwickshire one the week later.

It was the same paper both weeks, which I felt was open to abuse as those on second date could have managed to find out the questions!

DS sat the Birmingham at Camp Hill and the Warks at KES.

I wish this year was 2 exams again, that way, if they have an off day on one they can make up for it on the other! (Don't think DD would agree)

I have emailed admissions this morning to see how many have registered for the exam and have also queried the allocation of the test venue.

Interestingly, those applying through Birmingham received their test venues at the same time their application was acknowledged. They are still waiting on times/dates.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

sparkles18 wrote:Is anybody else sitting the test on Sunday? DS has to sit it on Sunday, not sure why as we didn't request that day.
Surely this is a mistake if you haven't requested it. I understand for religious reasons you can opt to take the test on the Sunday I believe. Best to confirm with admissions if you can hold of them.
Jason Orange

Post by Jason Orange »

nervousmom wrote:I'm sure I read/heard of the possibility of another date due to trying to accommodate all the children.

Why couldn't they have used more schools? That way all tests could be on the Saturday and schools allocated could have been closer to where you live!

3 years ago DS sat Birmingham and Warwickshire, both were on the same day. Birmingham refused to change date, so subsequently those sitting both did the Birmingham first and the Warwickshire one the week later.

It was the same paper both weeks, which I felt was open to abuse as those on second date could have managed to find out the questions!

DS sat the Birmingham at Camp Hill and the Warks at KES.

I wish this year was 2 exams again, that way, if they have an off day on one they can make up for it on the other! (Don't think DD would agree)

I have emailed admissions this morning to see how many have registered for the exam and have also queried the allocation of the test venue.

Interestingly, those applying through Birmingham received their test venues at the same time their application was acknowledged. They are still waiting on times/dates.
I suspect the reason more schools aren't being used is that many will not want any part in the 11+ process.

The whole idea of a shared test is of course about limiting the options for parents to abuse the system. Too many have used one as a free mock, or as a way of obtaining a later test date.

Not sure why you're bothering to ask how many people have registered for the exam. What difference does it make other than giving the Council one more thing to do?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Admissions have kindly replied.

She said testing venues are based on current child's school and availability of venues. They try to get children from same school to same venues.

They use a number of venues and there are places that cannot/will not accommodate them!

My DD is only one from her school registered in Warwick and she is at school in Shirley!

Interestingly (although it appears not everyone agrees) there are 2200 registrations for the Warwickshire 11+ this year.

To my mind the fit and well sheet is open to abuse. It has to be taken on the day, with the childs photo validated by their teacher/head teacher. What's to stop parents getting it completed, then swapping pictures before the big day!

When DS sat Warwixkshire exam before, it rings a bell that a photo was sent prior to the exam date and this photo was on their exam desk!. (I think Birmingham was an on-line photo)
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

nervousmom wrote:Admissions have kindly replied.

She said testing venues are based on current child's school and availability of venues. They try to get children from same school to same venues.

They use a number of venues and there are places that cannot/will not accommodate them!

My DD is only one from her school registered in Warwick and she is at school in Shirley!

Interestingly (although it appears not everyone agrees) there are 2200 registrations for the Warwickshire 11+ this year.

To my mind the fit and well sheet is open to abuse. It has to be taken on the day, with the childs photo validated by their teacher/head teacher. What's to stop parents getting it completed, then swapping pictures before the big day!

When DS sat Warwixkshire exam before, it rings a bell that a photo was sent prior to the exam date and this photo was on their exam desk!. (I think Birmingham was an on-line photo)
2200 applicants - is that about the same number as last year I wonder?
Did you not have to send in a photo with your application? For brum we did it online. I believe- but I stand corrected- when child starts year 7 in some schools pupils are checked against the photo they supplied with their application?
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

You're right nervousmom. I think we sent the for back to WCC after it was signed and the photo was on their allocated desk. That seemed a very efficient and secure way of protecting the photo. However, I think I'd someone wants to get around the system they will one day or another. It was a good system but I can understand why they want to keep changing it.

I suppose a lot of state schools don't want to be seen to be supporting selective education as it doesn't help them, hence our longer distance trips.

2200 - eek! :shock:
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Bloomers151 wrote:You're right nervousmom. I think we sent the for back to WCC after it was signed and the photo was on their allocated desk. That seemed a very efficient and secure way of protecting the photo. However, I think I'd someone wants to get around the system they will one day or another. It was a good system but I can understand why they want to keep changing it.

I suppose a lot of state schools don't want to be seen to be supporting selective education as it doesn't help them, hence our longer distance trips.

2200 - eek! :shock:
5300 for brum - eek eek! :shock: :shock:
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Eek, eek, eek :lol:

Just dug out DS score letters from 3 years ago! I know numbers may have increased, but I'm sure it will give a little indication of things!

Birmingham had no useful info but Warks very informative

1817 sat the test - this year 2200 registered.

Of that 1817 - 1029 were Southern. Based on those stats 57% of Warks entrants were Southern. Equate that to this year and 1254 children are trying for 343 places. So a 27% chance of a place!

I know this is very approximate, but shows the competition.

The Warks results letter was great, DS was 49th out of 527 boys, so we knew he would get KES if nothing else.

I believe Warks are doing the same this year as well.

Birmingham is a little more ambiguous.
sparkles18

Post by sparkles18 »

Bob1892 wrote:
sparkles18 wrote:Is anybody else sitting the test on Sunday? DS has to sit it on Sunday, not sure why as we didn't request that day.
Surely this is a mistake if you haven't requested it. I understand for religious reasons you can opt to take the test on the Sunday I believe. Best to confirm with admissions if you can hold of them.
I've checked with Admissions and the date is correct, DS will be sitting it on the Sunday as they are using Sunday as an overflow day. We were also told that 2000 plus were sitting the test.
Bloomers151

Post by Bloomers151 »

Thanks nervousmom, you saved me a job pulling that paperwork out as I was curious too :D

On the KES website their calendar is booked out for 12th & 13th as 'Warwickshire 11+ Exam' so guessing there are many more out there with a Sunday slot.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now