Confused - KES Stratford or Camp Hill Boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rimjhimm100

Confused - KES Stratford or Camp Hill Boys?

Post by rimjhimm100 »

We have visited both schools and like both. Our son has the score for both, access is easier for CHB but he really likes KES. Reading about GCSE and A level results it appears that CHB is better but we are so confused. Anyone else in a similar situation? or faced this last year perhaps and could share their experiences?
nervousmom

Re: Confused - KES Stratford or Camp Hill Boys?

Post by nervousmom »

I loved KES when we visited 3 years ago. We didn't visit CHB, so can't compare.

Both are very good schools, with great academic achievements.

Although I loved KES, my son loved KEFW.

He his now in year 9 at KEFW.

You are in a lovely position, but ultimately, it is your son that will be attending the school for the next 7 years, so maybe it would be better for him to go somewhere he really likes.

Whatever you decide to do, once he is in and settled and happy, you won't ever think about the other school again.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I know nothing of CHB, but DS is very happy at KES.
I think this really is a case of going with your gut / heart - what a lovely position to be in :D

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Know nothing of CHB either but also have son who is happy at KES. I would say that CHbnecessitated travel in and out of birmingham, so in terms of considerations I'd be thinking
Town travel, how happy are you with big city independent travel for your son?
If driving him, raff ic prob much worse than getting to KES, which is dead easy to access so long as you're not trying to get to the sports field on a Friday afternoon!

Otherwise, as JD says, go with your gut!
pegtastic

Post by pegtastic »

I don't know the situation with travel to the Bham GS but as of next year there will no longer be any free travel to Warks GS, that might be a consideration for you.

As others have said though, both schools are excellent, so you should go with your gut which will be the easiest and happiest place for him to be x
lemur

Post by lemur »

We are in similar boat. DS has marks for KES or CHB, but haven't decided yet. CHB achieves significantly better GCSE and A-Level results than any other of the Birmingham/Warwickshire grammars. This is especially true in Maths/Science, and if your primary objective is to secure a place in Medical school or on an Oxbridge science course, CHB is your best choice. On the other hand, the curriculum at CHB is somewhat restricted. For example CHB only teaches 2 languages (French and German), whereas KES offers these plus Latin, Greek and Spanish. There is also no domestic science or drama in the CHB curriculum, but there is at KES. In short, CHB does what it does very well, but has been referred to as an "exam factory" with some justification. KES appears to offer a broader educational experience.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

This morning I did the bus journey with my son to Stratford and though 45-50 minutes it was a do-able one. The bus was nice and clean and I spoke to a couple of school children who take the bus everyday (Henley-in-Arden School). I am aware he will have other school children on the same bus and will be fine.

CHB is about 20 minutes away and like you mentioned Lemur, has a higher number of Oxbridge/Higher education statistics. Contrastingly, again like you said, KES has other plus points. We found it odd too that CHB offers just the 2 Languages.

Went to visit CHB again yesterday and very impressed with the Head, facilities etc. Equally, we love KES too and our son likes both aaaaargh!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your comments and support, it is very helpful and reassuring to see that we aren't the only ones facing dilemmas. Lemur - you will have to keep me posted on what you decide in the end as you are in exactly the same situation.

The problem, however, still remains because we are soooooo confused......
shakey

Post by shakey »

rimjhimm100 wrote:This morning I did the bus journey with my son to Stratford and though 45-50 minutes it was a do-able one. The bus was nice and clean and I spoke to a couple of school children who take the bus everyday (Henley-in-Arden School). I am aware he will have other school children on the same bus and will be fine.

CHB is about 20 minutes away and like you mentioned Lemur, has a higher number of Oxbridge/Higher education statistics. Contrastingly, again like you said, KES has other plus points. We found it odd too that CHB offers just the 2 Languages.

Went to visit CHB again yesterday and very impressed with the Head, facilities etc. Equally, we love KES too and our son likes both aaaaargh!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your comments and support, it is very helpful and reassuring to see that we aren't the only ones facing dilemmas. Lemur - you will have to keep me posted on what you decide in the end as you are in exactly the same situation.

The problem, however, still remains because we are soooooo confused......
Try flipping a coin
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I love Stratford, so that would swing it for me!!! :)
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Thanks nervousmom, we appear to be inclined that way too!