Ashlawn Expansion to a satellite site

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: Ashlawn Expansion to a satellite site

Post by ginx »

I think the proposed site is near the masts, which may be Warwickshire - just?

Another question regarding my ds2 in year 5, who I want to go to Ashlawn.

One of the admissions criteria is "having a sibling at the school at the time of application" (not the time of admission).

I will have a dd in year 13 at the time of application (i.e. when ds2 is in year 6 - there are seven years between them in age). So she will have left when he starts year 7.

Would that get him in? I suppose the school will decide, as it's an academy with its own rules.
Rugbylady13

Post by Rugbylady13 »

Just a reminder that there is a public meeting on Tuesday 1st March at 7:30pm at Ashlawn School.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Rugbylady13, I've just got back from the meeting. I thought I saw you there?

What did you think? I don't think having a satellite site can work, and it was all very vague.

It also seemed like yet another chance for Ashlawn to sing it's praises which can be a little boring.

I still think it's a good school - I just don't see how this could work. I didn't go and meet anybody, I'm going to address my questions online.

My only question was about the catchment area. My daughter, in year 12, said her teacher (an assistant head) at Ashlawn told them that 50 children found out today they didn't get in to Ashlawn, and the phone had been going all day. My daughter said she had heard the new site is in Clifton.

What did you think?

edited to add - did anybody from the forum attend the meeting?
guest201

Post by guest201 »

It seems the ever decreasing catchment area of Ashlawn has decreased again this year I believe it was 1.019 miles, with children in Hillmorton not gaining a place. Avon Valley, Bilton and Harris all offered over PAN to accommodate excess children but Ashlawn didn't. There are so many children from outside Rugby coming to school in Rugby that there are just not enough spaces in the schools anymore.
Rugbylady13

Post by Rugbylady13 »

I was able to go last night due to DH work commitments. Apparently nothing was given away regarding location except they want it as close as possible to the existing school. A friend said that on Monday on the website there will be published answers to questions that have been asked but not answered on the night. They currently take in about 280ish students so maybe they aren't able to offer over their PAN.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I didn't feel the head and teachers present confirmed anything at last night's meeting. They suggested the new site could be in a new housing estate (the masts), on a more local site (near the Water Tower?) or, at somewhere chosen by the government.

Ds2, who will sit the 11+ this year, says all his friends want to go to Ashlawn because he says nobody in year 6 got in (that may not be true!) Apparently most were sent to Rugby Free School.

I suppose we will just have to look round all the other schools. Unfortunately I'm not keen on Bilton or Harris, but I'm not sure how a new satellite site will affect Ashlawn either, so maybe it would be a good thing for him to go to a different school.

I suspect we will be choosing between Rugby Free School and Harris. I must try and be positive.

It will be interesting to see where this satellite site is, and how it will work.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Apparently as one of his last acts as pm, on Tuesday David Cameron gave the green light for Ashlawn to have a satellite site for 180 pupils, to open in 2017.

No idea where, though.
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Has anybody heard more details?
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Ashlawn is in Tatler magazine! I think a local parent writes for Tatler, but if anyone reads it, Ashlawn may need that extra site.
Rugbylady13

Post by Rugbylady13 »

Still no Ashlawn 2 but head still gets a £50k pay rise.....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now