Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manon

Re: Very quiet in Warwickshire!

Post by Manon »

This forum was much quieter than the Birmingham one pre-exam but much busier after the exam for those who sat this morning.

DS also came out saying it was much easier than he thought it would be which I always think is a bit worrying, having come out of a mock O level ( yes I am that old!) that I thought had been really easy and getting 20%. So I am somewhat comforted that others have come out saying the same. I suppose it might mean that the scores go sky high this year but I also suppose it will all be relative.

Good luck to those of you sitting tomorrow.
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

My DS2 did a couple of mocks last year and said the 11+ was a bit easier.
Wonky

Post by Wonky »

What was the feedback on time? DS said he finished all sections bar two where he had 3 or 4 questions left to complete that he just randomly filled the answers in during the last few seconds.

It did make me smile when he said that one of them was not a multi choice question but one where you actually had to write an actual number.... He put his seat number in :lol:
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

Wonky wrote:To come up with those had to do a bit of cross referencing between previous years October results and then the Spring allocations threads on here. They look to be fairly consistent.
:D i think you are pretty close with those rankings Wonky - my sense is that southern boys may become more competitive this year so a rank in the top 100 boys will perhaps guarantee a place in KES, the top school in Warks.
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

ginx wrote:Well, my ds says he's sure all his comprehension was wrong and he had to guess all the vr. That may partly be because he never reads.

He said the maths and non vr were "ok".

MFL and Rugby Free here we come.

And he said it was very difficult. :(

Advice for any dp with dc doing this again; get them to read, read, read.
ginx, its dejavu..i cant believe it was you four years ago!! (Oct 2012) on this forum that I discussed results etc with !!! -- I couldnt agree more -- children need to read (and comprehend!)..
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

phoenix45 wrote:
Wonky wrote:To come up with those had to do a bit of cross referencing between previous years October results and then the Spring allocations threads on here. They look to be fairly consistent.
:D i think you are pretty close with those rankings Wonky - my sense is that southern boys may become more competitive this year so a rank in the top 100 boys will perhaps guarantee a place in KES, the top school in Warks.

From memory, (James Dean, does this tie with your memory?) I think 126 rank might be around the last rank in, the last few years...obviously this requires major permeatations of boys of high ranks choosing Alcester, a B'ham GS, or private...but, yes, the last few years a top 100 rank would have got you a place in the 1st round. The water gets a bit muddier with the pupil premium spaces which were offered for the first time last year - this could, theoretically equate to only 73 places (out of the 81) being "offered" (with 8 - or 10% available for PP), and obviously the 3 appeal spaces. It is certainly a difficult school to gain a place at.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
phoenix45 wrote:
'

From memory, (James Dean, does this tie with your memory?) I think 126 rank might be around the last rank in, the last few years...obviously this requires major permeatations of boys of high ranks choosing Alcester, a B'ham GS, or private...but, yes, the last few years a top 100 rank would have got you a place in the 1st round. The water gets a bit muddier with the pupil premium spaces which were offered for the first time last year - this could, theoretically equate to only 73 places (out of the 81) being "offered" (with 8 - or 10% available for PP), and obviously the 3 appeal spaces. It is certainly a difficult school to gain a place at.
3 appeal spaces' - ???
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

A maximum of 3...I think based on physically what the school can fit in, tried and tested over years (I think there is very strict formulas about physical space and numbers of bodies, but someone who knows more about appeals may correct me!). Space is such a premium that the 6th Form is now housed offsite (albeit only across the road), but have their lessons in the school.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Rugbymumto2, sounds like yours have done well. For dc who are all rounded and done some practice and want to do well, good luck.

It will be interesting to see scores, and would be good to have more comments on here.

Ginx
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

I will be posting scores. It's good to see some eastern area people on here, so hopefully we can help make sense of the scores. I think I read that girls need to be ranked within the top 110 for the eastern area to get a place at RHS (this would be for those in the smaller circle).

Timing wise my DD said similar to Wonky's son - she managed to finish all sections, but had to go back and guess at a few.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now