Mock exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RugbyCov

Mock exams

Post by RugbyCov »

any ideas on who runs mock 11+ exams in the Warwickshire area, ready for Sept 17 please?
sportsforall

Re: Mock exams

Post by sportsforall »

The tutor my daughter attends runs a mock exam in July - last year it was opened up to those not being tutored. The location is near Crick - not sure if that is suitable and would have to PM you details.
Manon

Post by Manon »

Remember Warks isthe same exam as Birmingham so you have the choiceof their providers too.

Have pm'd you

Manon
Satsuma

Post by Satsuma »

RugbyCov wrote:any ideas on who runs mock 11+ exams in the Warwickshire area, ready for Sept 17 please?
Hi there,
We completed mock exams for my son last year that were run by a local company based in Warwickshire. (Please pm me if you can't find them on google) The exams were held in Shirley, Solihull. They were around £60 each and run from January to July (approx once a month). We met people at the exams from all over the Warwickshire area, so check out their website for info. They also run online courses to help prepare using daily tests if you want this also (highly recommended as it covers English, Maths, Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning) and additional weekly tutoring also (we didn't do this, but know others who did). Please be aware that mock exams need to be booked in advance as they are popular and fill up fast.
We found the practice mock exams invaluable as my son (like most others) had no real experience of sitting exams and what was expected etc.
The exams are generally held on a Saturday and last a few hours, but are great to help them manage their time and prepare mentally for the exam in September.
He did well in his actual 11+ exam in September and said himself without the practice beforehand he would of been stumped. I will definitely be doing this for my younger child also.
Good luck
Loverofolives

Post by Loverofolives »

My son did the same mock exams as Satsuma and although it was hard going at times (like one of them clashing with a friend's birthday party and a few tears!) I have absolutely no regrets at all as they are excellent prep
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And, in the interest of balance, I will say that I have two boys who successfully navigated the 11+ system without tutors or the need of mock tests - didn't even occur to me to consider them - and had never sat in a hall with lots of other children to do a test, had never really done anything other than spelling tests in their primary school, actually, and one displays asd behaviours.... Mock tests may help your child - especially if you have a particularly nervous child, or one that is maybe not doing quite so well and needs a bit of motivation, but they are not necessarily essential
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

kenyancowgirl wrote:And, in the interest of balance, I will say that I have two boys who successfully navigated the 11+ system without tutors or the need of mock tests - didn't even occur to me to consider them - and had never sat in a hall with lots of other children to do a test, had never really done anything other than spelling tests in their primary school, actually, and one displays asd behaviours.... Mock tests may help your child - especially if you have a particularly nervous child, or one that is maybe not doing quite so well and needs a bit of motivation, but they are not necessarily essential
My DD never did an official mock either. I just didn't think about it. We did one at home and she visualised being in the classroom at the school.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:And, in the interest of balance, I will say that I have two boys who successfully navigated the 11+ system without tutors or the need of mock tests - didn't even occur to me to consider them - and had never sat in a hall with lots of other children to do a test, had never really done anything other than spelling tests in their primary school, actually, and one displays asd behaviours.... Mock tests may help your child - especially if you have a particularly nervous child, or one that is maybe not doing quite so well and needs a bit of motivation, but they are not necessarily essential
+1 here.

JD
Bect1969

Post by Bect1969 »

I have one son who didn't do any mock exams (I didn't know they existed at the time) and he did fine, the other son did a couple of mock exams primarily to sit him in exam conditions so he wasn't overwhelmed when it came to do the 11plus, he did fine too. Horses for courses I suppose.
NiccyB

Post by NiccyB »

Our son hasn't had tutoring, but did one mock exam in Shirley a year or so ago. We put him in for it simply to make sure that he knew what sitting in a large examination room would be like. As it turned out, there were no problems in that respect. What it did do, which was completely unexpected, was show to him that he couldn't be complacent. He sat the mock with the attitude of "It's easy-peasy, I don't have to worry about it" and then bombed it completely (unchecked work, unfinished sections) - that he scored such a low score was a complete and total shock to him. For £60 or so, it wasn't a cheap lesson, but it did mean that when he sat the 11+ and entrance exams, he knew that he had to put some effort in. The result, an offer of an academic scholarship from an independent and a score sufficient (we hope!!) to put him amongst the best at KES, Stratford.