Lawrence Sheriff or Ashlawn

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest201

Re: Lawrence Sheriff or Ashlawn

Post by guest201 »

Vicksteroo wrote:My son is not a fan of competitive sports so LSS doesn't score so highly there for him
Don't let that put you off. Only the kids who enjoy/excel at competitive sports play competitively, the others do P.E. and games and nothing else unless they want to. The boys are streamed for games, I believe there are 4 sets in year 7, so if a boy is not interested in sport and/or doesn't perform well, he will be placed in a lower set with like minded boys, I can assure you there are plenty of boys there who would rather boil their heads than play competitive sports!
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Vicksteroo - I can't see anything about an Ashlawn open morning on their website. Could you please tell me what day it is? Thanks!
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

I contacted them direct - I think they have timed slots and you have to pre-book, mine is this Wednesday. Good luck!
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

Seraphina wrote:Vicksteroo - I can't see anything about an Ashlawn open morning on their website. Could you please tell me what day it is? Thanks!
I think it was some time in June/July.
But if you contact them, them, they may give you a chance.Bit different and open minded from other schools.
guest246

Post by guest246 »

Viksteroo, what was your experience with the two schools? Have you decided?
guest246

Post by guest246 »

Vicksteroo wrote:I contacted them direct - I think they have timed slots and you have to pre-book, mine is this Wednesday. Good luck!
did you decide out of the two?
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

Yes, it was a tough decision though. My son was keen to use his 11+ result and these were the only 2 viable options from where we live. We visited both again and felt that they are both excellent schools with plenty of pros and cons for both. Ashlawn - co-ed, very popular, good facilities, good teaching from what I saw, but is enormous and effectively a comprehensive with 2 selective classes of entry to provide an option to those living beyond the small catchment area, and their A level results aren't great. LSS - also very popular, good facilities, excellent academic results, but is single sex and I gather there is some lazy teaching due to the pure grammar intake (they don't have to inspire the less academic kids, there aren't any!).

We chose LSS.

Part of the decision was based on size - Ashlawn is huge and we come from a small village school. Part of it was based on word of mouth from other parents and teachers. Part of it was based on my son's academic leanings. Part of it was worry that he'd get "lost" in a huge cohort, and be allowed to drift. Part of it was my son's choice. Still not sure whether we chose well! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now