Is it calculation error ??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Another Parent

Re: Is it calculation error ??

Post by Another Parent »

JamesDean wrote:Have done a quick search and AP is indeed in Warks and aiming for KES.

Hi AP - can you confirm that the 20 sharing the rank are all southern boys or is that overall? If indeed it is 20, then as this rank spans the school's PAN of 81, places would be offered based on distance from Stratford. However, there will be boys ranked higher who will be applying for AGS, the B'ham grammars or indie schools instead.

AQS last year was 232 - 239 would be a huge leap!

JD
Thanks JD, if we look at the boys only in south Warks his rank is 70 with 7 sharing. Thanks again for reassurance
regards
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Another Parent wrote:Thanks JD, if we look at the boys only in south Warks his rank is 70 with 7 sharing. Thanks again for reassurance regards
That's much better, AP - even if he's furthest away of the 7 he's still ranked 76 and within KES's PAN :D

JD
Another Parent

Post by Another Parent »

JamesDean wrote:
Another Parent wrote:Thanks JD, if we look at the boys only in south Warks his rank is 70 with 7 sharing. Thanks again for reassurance regards
That's much better, AP - even if he's furthest away of the 7 he's still ranked 76 and within KES's PAN :D

JD
Cheers!!
JumpingJane

Post by JumpingJane »

Another Parent

Annoying when the example in the letter is rounded up and it says it has been so. We had the same with DD score of 226.9 was rounded DOWN to 226.

Luckily we are both in an ok position, however, this could really be an issue for borderline cases - worth arguing I would say.
Another Parent

Post by Another Parent »

JumpingJane wrote:Another Parent

Annoying when the example in the letter is rounded up and it says it has been so. We had the same with DD score of 226.9 was rounded DOWN to 226.

Luckily we are both in an ok position, however, this could really be an issue for borderline cases - worth arguing I would say.
Thanks JJ for replying, a mark at this stage is worth 20 ranks in all and for all the boys in south Warks it worth 7 ranks which to me is worth contesting/ Arguing. BTW Congrats to you and well done to your DD for her hard work. All the best to you.
Another Parent

Post by Another Parent »

Thanks to everyone who's replied and congrats to All the parents and DC for the hard work. My DS is getting and WII U for the his effort.
Wonky

Post by Wonky »

Hi,

After re-reading the letter and checking our scores I just dropped a mail to admissions to query why scores were rounded down when the letter can not be any clearer as to the process. I received a long response within 5 mins! I'm guessing they've had a few questions and are regretting the day they put the method on the letter. Not sure I buy it but can't see it making any difference to us....

I'm afraid that the process is a little more complicated than it looks, and the explanation given in the letter perhaps raises more questions than answers.

However, to clarify, the scores for each of the three components, which have been published for you to 2 decimal places, are part of a more complex set of data, which is rounded up or down accordingly during the standardisation and weighting process. The scores you have been provided with are more for display purposes rather than to allow you to work out your child's final score for yourself. The total score is the important one though, and we can only ever use this as a whole number when considering all of the applications for grammar school places.

The total score you have been provided with takes account of this and then truncates the final score as necessary. If we rounded up the scores again in order to give the total, as you have suggested, this would not correlate with the individual scores per section which your son has achieved, in order to give the correct and final standardised and weighted total. This is all taken into account through the calculations and equations used specifically by our marking team when working out the final score, which is the only one which we will really need to look at from this point.

Therefore, please be assured that the process has been carried out correctly, and all of the individual score data has been treated in exactly the same way for all candidates.
I have checked your sons particular scores again and, when putting them through the appropriate calculations and equations, using all of the data available to us, his total weighted and standardised score has come out as published.

I hope this this information is useful.