Grammar Stream at Ashlawn

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JamesDean

Grammar Stream at Ashlawn

Post by JamesDean »

JamesDean wrote:Question from an interested southerner - if a DC struggles (for whatever reason) in grammar stream at Ashlawn, can they be moved to the 'normal' classes? Equally, if a 'normal' child flies, can they be moved into it??
Just curious, as it sounds like a glorified top set at a comp, but wondered if once you had gained your place, you kept it for 5 years regardless?
As no-one has enlightened me on the MFL thread, I thought I'd make it it's own topic. My curiosity began with movement in and out of the stream, and if this is even possible?

Also, historically how did it come about? Was Ashlawn previously a grammar school or were they annoyed at LSS/RHS creaming off the most able children so made up their own version??

In these days of potential new grammar schools and academies being able to select a proportion of their intake, is Ashlawn a possible model for other comprehensives?

Over to you, musings for a Saturday evening ...

JD
WarwickshireOzzie

Re: Grammar Stream at Ashlawn

Post by WarwickshireOzzie »

I'm pretty sure I replied on the other thread.

Can't answer all the questions but with regards to moving in and out of the grammar stream - yes from Y9. Y7 and Y8 are the fixed 4 grammar stream classes but they 're-set' at the start of Y9 so non-grammar children can move into the original grammar classes and vice versa.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks WarksOzzie - it's quite possible that I missed your original post!

JD
Rugbylady13

Post by Rugbylady13 »

Ashlawn also only have a 2 year KS3. So students start their GCSE study in Year 9.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I had a little dig around and although Wikipedia is surprisingly unhelpful about the history of the three schools which merged in 1985 to form Ashlawn - Dunsmore Boys, Dunsmore Girls and Fareham -but I found a reference to them which indicated that all three were secondary moderns, with LSS and Rugby High School being the associated grammar schools. So the grammar stream was obviously added or developed.

I'm not sure whether it's okay actually to post the link to the site, but if you search for 'Scrap book project Dunsmore' you will find it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
relaxedabout11+

Post by relaxedabout11+ »

From memory I think that Dunsmore Boys and Girls schools were grammar schools, or at least had grammar streams. They merged with Fareham school (could have been 1985?) and became Ashlawn as it is today, with a grammar stream. I could be wrong though.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

relaxedabout11+ wrote:From memory I think that Dunsmore Boys and Girls schools were grammar schools, or at least had grammar streams. They merged with Fareham school (could have been 1985?) and became Ashlawn as it is today, with a grammar stream. I could be wrong though.
The site to which I referred was a sort of blog (which is why I didn't include the actual link), by someone who took the 11+ in 1965 and it was his comment about if you passed, you went to Lawrence Sheriff and if you didn't, Dunsmore Boys ('... or in my case, Duncemore...' :shock: ), which definitely makes it sound like a secondary modern at that time. So presumably it became a bilateral school sometime in the seventies?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx