KES and 2017 holidays

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cariad

KES and 2017 holidays

Post by cariad »

Hello! I have a few quick questions about scheduling.

We need to book holiday trips for next year soon. I've seen reference to a few events that seem to take place over summer holidays. I really don't want my son to miss anything, especially to do with rugby as he's already looking forward to tryouts for the teams. Did I read that there is sometimes rugby training over the summer holidays? What about half-terms, are there year 7 trips or events that take place over holidays that I should be aware of? I couldn't find any info on KES' site.

How does KES react if you apply to take your child out during term time? About the same as local comps? We have relatives in far afield places, and every once in a while we need to request permission for a leave of absence to spend time with them when they make the long journey over here. At the moment the comprehensive where my older son is will never officially give permission to take your child out of school for that sort of thing, but off the record they have told me that they recognise that this is our child and they understand if we make that choice. We have averaged one or two days a year where we do this, so not a common occurrence by any measure. I know most people just lie if it's only a day, but if possible I prefer to maintain trust between us and the boys' schools. (That's not to judge anyone who chooses that path. We're hardly saints in this regard!)
JamesDean

Re: KES and 2017 holidays

Post by JamesDean »

cariad wrote:How does KES react if you apply to take your child out during term time?
You will be told at the new parents evening in June (and it will be repeated each year following) not to bother asking as it will be refused. I even emailed once to test the waters for a sporting absence and didn't even get a reply! :lol:

The new year 7 rugby sessions are in the last week of the summer holidays, if I remember correctly; KCG will know for sure. The only other things I can think of that are worth knowing is that the autumn half term is 2 weeks and internal exams are held in the week following the summer half term at the end of May. The year 7 residential (autumn term) and activities week (summer term) are during term time.

HTH,

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As JD says, KES react very dimly to people asking for time off - you will be told in no uncertain terms that you should not even bother requesting time off in term time as it will be refused, full stop. And this message is re-iterated often. And the head is very consistent in applying the rule; he doesn't grant absence! Your son probably won't want to miss anything that can be avoided - it can be hard enough catching up when they have a day off sick or for sports matches!

Pre season rugby training is the last week of the summer holidays - the dates have not be set yet - and it does depend a little on what day the first day of term is (for example, this year it was the Saturday morning before term started and then the first day of term was a Tuesday which is Y7 after school rugby training anyway, so they had it then.) It is usually only two sessions where Y7 are encouraged, but not required, to attend.

The only other thing is that Y7 and Y12 go back one day before the rest of the school in September.

Think JD has covered everything else that affects Y7.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

The main term dates are already in the school calendar for 2017-2018, on a pdf that's at the bottom of the main calendar page, if that helps!

http://www.kes.net/calendar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 017-18.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr_Dad

Post by Dr_Dad »

Term dates etc already up on ther website and available:

http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 017-18.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Online calendar is also rather useful and usually updated well in advance:

http://www.kes.net/calendar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would echo the comments earlier on Term Time absences....

Warksmum beat me to it...

To add some value start subscribing to some of the Twitter feeds from the school, will give you a picture of school life and extra-curricular activities. Fencing training sessions are also arranged for the various holidays as well, based in the School.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Fencing is pretty all consuming if your DS (or DD) takes it seriously! There are normally sessions every holiday, including half terms, though they are all options.

And comes with a warning - they've got a parents' group now too ;-)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Dr_Dad wrote:To add some value start subscribing to some of the Twitter feeds from the school, will give you a picture of school life and extra-curricular activities.
Yes, I would echo that - the Twitter feeds are excellent.

JD
cariad

Post by cariad »

Thanks, everyone! This is enormously helpful information, especially the info on rugby practice. My son has shown an interest in fencing, but I think he would find it a bit dull after the novelty wears off. I'd like him to try it, though, if that's possible without committing straight away.

We don't really do social media, but will get on Twitter and connect with the school. Marvelous suggestion!

I was expecting the response about term time. This doesn't sit very well with us if I'm honest. So what do parents do when they feel their child needs to be taken out of school for something other than illness? Just inform the school and do it?

And a more blunt question if anyone would be kind enough to address it: Does this school respect parents? Is education viewed as a partnership between parents and the school? I didn't get a very clear view of this from the open morning and we didn't make it to the Head's talk. The teachers were nice enough but I didn't get a feel for how the relationship between parents and the Headmaster/teachers is going to develop.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

cariad wrote: I was expecting the response about term time. This doesn't sit very well with us if I'm honest. So what do parents do when they feel their child needs to be taken out of school for something other than illness? Just inform the school and do it?

And a more blunt question if anyone would be kind enough to address it: Does this school respect parents? Is education viewed as a partnership between parents and the school? I didn't get a very clear view of this from the open morning and we didn't make it to the Head's talk. The teachers were nice enough but I didn't get a feel for how the relationship between parents and the Headmaster/teachers is going to develop.
Why should your son miss school? It's strange to ask about partnership when you intend to break your side of the 'bargain' ... missing a day means a lot of copying up and your son will probably find it tiresome to miss anything.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I know someone who took their son out for a week. They informed the school. Got a very stiff letter from the head afterwards! But that was it, didn't get fined or anything. They felt it was worth it. We wouldn't , but that's not to judge, just how I feel the school is about it and how it is an agreement.

Are you set on KES? I'm wondering from your reasonable but relatively unsure questions whether you would be happy with it? Parents are encouraged to be involved, for the very best of reasons (fund raising is voracious, if I can say that on a good way. I admire each and everyone who does that for the school, and a lot do, though not me I'm afraid, I simply can't). Money raised would never be called 'enough' of course, but given the demographic and compared with other secondaries, it is high (in the order of sports buses etc, all brilliant and a great job, but also a measure of the money available).

As mentioned, there are Standards evenings for year 7 and gcse standards in y9. There is no doubting the intention of these evenings to impress on both boys and parents how important the academic achievement of the boys is. However, I have also found the pastoral care when asked for on an individual basis to be excellent and it also reflects that this is ultimately quite a small school, so more personal).

You can e mail any teacher and response is generally quick.

Does that answer anything further?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now