Allocations 2017 - Warwickshire - scores only

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BeccyBell

Re: Allocations 2017 - Warwickshire - scores only

Post by BeccyBell »

OK, so apparently we were not offered a place because they did not receive our proof of address (and they didn't bother to warn us that they hadn't). I had immense difficulty getting proof of address for my son over the Xmas period and it involved a lot of wasting NHS time trying to get written (not texted) doctor / dentist /optician appointment letters. I sent off my proof in good time with a note complaining that advocating wasting NHS time was disappointing. I don't believe that the Royal Mail lost it, I think admissions mislaid it - maybe because of my note. Their organisation skills were atrocious. They accidentally invited my son to the 11+ on the Sunday not Saturday - lucky I spotted that one!! They have made countless administrative cock-ups for my friends too.

So we are on a waiting list (which interestingly you don't need proof of address for - why?) and we've heard nothing yet so I guess we didn't make it in this first round because I think we would have been told today if we had. So I will now start the paperwork for an appeal.

Incidentally, AGS head was very nice. I emailed AGS and he phoned me back and advised me to go on the waiting list and to lodge an appeal but said it was with Admissions.
BeccyBell wrote:We live in catchment for AGS. Put AGS as 1st choice, Henley 2nd. Score was 235. We are on waiting list for AGS and place offered at Henley. Why?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The proof of address stuff was introduced due to a number of parents fradulently applying saying they were in the priority catchment, when they weren't. Whilst it may be a little difficult to get it for a child, it is better than knowing their are children getting places ahead of others who live in the right area, which is what happened in the past. Unfortunately it does mean that genuine applicants are inconvenienced.

It is frustrating when your stuff gets lost - I don't imagine there is anyone in admissions deliberately losing things - they are more professional than that, one would hope, and they know that that would just open them up to appeal requests - have you got a proof of postage you could show them, or did you photocopy the letter before you sent it? If not - for future reference, it is worth doing to keep a paper trail - it will help if you go to appeal, for example. W/r to the Sunday sitting - they have run sittings on Sundays for the last few years partly because of the number of applicants and also as a back up for those who are unwell/unable to attend on the main test date.

You don't need proof of address to sit on the waiting list because that is now the second round of applications, rather than the first. At this point the list is open to everyone, late applicants and those that live out of the priority catchment. You are doing the right thing in preparing your appeal but I would expect you are now right at the top of the Waiting list (even above anyone with a higher score) as you should have been offered a place in the first round. Good luck.
Chuggabug

Post by Chuggabug »

BeccyBell wrote: I don't believe that the Royal Mail lost it, I think admissions mislaid it - maybe because of my note.
Hi Beccy. We had a number of admin errors throughout the process (including not receiving an invite to the test at all - had to phone to ask for one, and arriving at the test to be told DS2 wasn't on the list and 'move off to the side' which did nothing for his nerves!), and I'd kept records of everything all along just in case so knew it wasn't our error and thankfully it got sorted. So when it came to the proof of address I posted it, emailed a copy and asked for email confirmation that it had been received (which I got). Obviously this doesn't help you now, but might help others in future... not ideal as simply adds more burden at the Admissions end, but when errors are being made it's worth covering yourself.
And yes, getting proof of address sorted over the Christmas period was faintly ridiculous...
Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now