Re: Waiting List query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

hadi12 wrote:Hi please if any one help my son got 215 and I have put LSS as late application out of area as live in Leicester . What are my chances please.
It looks as though in category 5 the lowest score offered for LSS was 221. This means that anyone scoring 221 - 216 would get preference over your DS, equally anyone scoring 215 that lived nearer (even out of catchment) would take preference. I would say your chances are incredibly small, since the waiting list only shifts by five ish places for this school. Someone else here may have a different view but I would say prepare for a no.

Applying late doesn't seem to impact waiting lists - you would be viewed the same as on time applicants.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hadi12 wrote:Hi please if any one help my son got 215 and I have put LSS as late application out of area as live in Leicester . What are my chances please.

Hi Hadi12 - I see from your earlier thread that you have a place at Handsworth which is an enormous distance from Leicester - did you visit it before putting on the CAF? how did you find the journey?

I suspect LSS would also be a long way to travel and as the cutoff for OOA is about 221 (see post above) then I don't think you easily get a place there.

I think you have to have a serious look at the schools on your CAF and consider options locally - did you put any local schools down?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

hermanmunster wrote:

Hi Hadi12 - I see from your earlier thread that you have a place at Handsworth which is an enormous distance from Leicester - did you visit it before putting on the CAF? how did you find the journey?

I suspect LSS would also be a long way to travel and as the cutoff for OOA is about 221 (see post above) then I don't think you easily get a place there.

I think you have to have a serious look at the schools on your CAF and consider options locally - did you put any local schools down?
Golly :shock: :shock:

Perhaps the poster is considering moving?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yamin151 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

If a move is required (looking at the journeys involved, one would say, 'As a move is required,...'), would it not be better to go with the school already offered and have a reasonable chance of finding a house and settling in before the start of year 7? Rather than hang on indefinitely on the waiting list for a different school in a different area also necessitating a relocation to avoid a tiring journey?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Your son took the common Bham / Warks test and scored 215 in Bham. Did he get exactly the same score for Warks? I would have expected a different score as I understand the sections in the papers are weighted differently between each authority. Can you clarify?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I also note on another thread that you are considering appealing on grounds of financial strain to the family....to be fair, the school has not moved since you applied...you knew how far away you lived (whether it be Handsworth or LSS, both are an unrealistic day travel, week in week out for up to 7 years, from Leicester) so the assumption, rightly or wrongly, would be that you would move to nearer the school if you obtained a place. Just because the school has no catchment doesnt mean you can apply from anywhere in the country and get paid travel...Even within county people, with a very small travel journey have to pay their own transport now. I would be very surprised if a panel would look favourably on this at appeal as they would expect you to have at least visited the schools in question and found out about the travel commitments/cost before applying.

Which local school did you name on your CAF? Contact your LEA and see if there is any chance of sitting on the waiting list for that.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Fatnorville wrote:
Your son took the common Bham / Warks test and scored 215 in Bham. Did he get exactly the same score for Warks? I would have expected a different score as I understand the sections in the papers are weighted differently between each authority. Can you clarify?
Apparently the 2 regions were Age Standardised and weighted in exactly the same way(as we had several candidates applying the Warks & B/Ham with the same scores) although this was not documented clearly on the respective LEA/Consortium web sites. I queried this with Warks LEA Admissions but they weren't sure whether the weighting was the same - but they said they would check with CEM and confirm. I didn't receive a reply so I suspect this might have been a slip-up by CEM or Warks LEA or both!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

My DD sat 2 years ago, applied through Warwickshire and shared results with Birmingham.

Our Warwickshire results letter arrived 3-4 days before the Birmingham (due to lateness in sharing details!)

At the time, other people were posting their shared scores, some were a point different. but, I spoke to FO after Warks letter was received, the girl I spoke to did the calculation for Bham score over the phone and gave me a score 1 point less than the Warks score!

Luckily, when our Birmingham letter arrived, it was the same score as Warks!

I believe there was a very slight difference in how the scores were calculated and in particular how rounding up/down was calculated.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Yamin151 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

Maybe you are being a bit harsh, some parts of Leicester are only 30-35 mins from Rugby
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I don't think I was being harsh. I didn't criticise, I just looked surprised.

I would say though, not in criticism but in surprise - the absolute minimum from top of M69 so fastest road, no city to drive through to LHS is 32 minutes, presumably without hold ups. For a bus commute or train, that will be longer. For a car drive, thats still a long time in the car each day. I'd say it needs thinking about
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now