AGS Waiting List movement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dobspoon

AGS Waiting List movement

Post by dobspoon »

Hi - does anyone have any good data on how much the AGS waiting list moved last year? I saw a post from one contributor whose child started at 32nd in the list and got a place within March. Presumably if that place was offered within March they would be unlikely to have been the last offer made - but also I assume that things harden after that point. Do we have any information at all between us?
cyclodad

Re: AGS Waiting List movement

Post by cyclodad »

Yes that would be really useful to know as DS is on 212 and we would really like to know how far up/down the waiting list he will be! :?
dobspoon

Post by dobspoon »

Hi cyclodad - you'll have to get your position confirmed by the admissions team as no historical data will tell you this. Maybe what you're saying is what we're wondering - should we have any confidence that we'll get a place? I think I saw that 212 was 447th - you'll know this better than me. 464th was the lowest place offered on 1 March last year. Your place on the list will depend on your location relative to the school (I think? Or is it Rother Market in Stratford? - either way, it's location). With 32 places worth of movement reported in March last year - we're on 210 in 490th position - your chances look good IMHO.
cyclodad

Post by cyclodad »

Hi Dobspoon,

Yes you have hit the nail on the head. I can tell you that when i spoke to admissions they said that you can find where you are on the waiting list from Monday 13th March.

Its been a looooooooooooong wait so i guess a few weeks to find out is not so bad.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I think distance is measured from The American Fountain in Stratford for all the S Warks grammars, which is particularly ridiculous for AGS!

JD
dobspoon

Post by dobspoon »

Actually I think it's proximity to the school which counts - here

http://www.alcestergs.com/attachments/d ... 1&type=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2.2.3
"To differentiate in the case of children with the same score in any of the following
categories, those who live nearest the School in a straight-line distance will be given
highest priority"

Rother Fountain is used to identify the priority area for the school (in 2.2.1 of the same doc)

That's how I read it anyway!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

That's a good change then as when we were looking for schools for DS, 4 (!) years ago, it was the American Fountain. The then AGS HT was not happy so the Govs must have changed it since.

JD
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Distance has always been measured to the particular school in question. Reference to fountains, clock towers etc relate to how the priority circle is measured.
Satsuma

Post by Satsuma »

I'm not sure about the waiting list positions for AGS; but my child was offered a place there and has now decided to take up a private school offer instead - purely based on distance to travel to AGS each day.... so that will free up one space for another candidate waiting! Good luck :)
BlueKnows

Post by BlueKnows »

Hi Satsuma
Congratulations....
Hopefully others will be as conscientious and prompt as yourselves when making alternate arrangements and not leave it until later.Can I be nosy and ask what school you have decided on