Waiting list success! Bus failure!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dobspoon

Waiting list success! Bus failure!

Post by dobspoon »

As I noted in other threads, DS2 started at AGS yesterday (Tuesday 19th). We have two boys at the same school. 52nd on the list once upon a time. There's always hope if you're prepared to stick it out.

That's the end of the story, right?

No, it's time to join another waiting list! This time it's bus places. Apparently there is no room on the 293 (Welford/Dorsington service) for AGS and St Ben's. We have DD1 in Reception in Stratford and the Stratford bus times aren't compatible with her dropoff.

I put it to the transport operations team that according to DS1, there is always room on the bus. I suspect that there is a pass or two in existence that never get used.

I'm going to ask DS1 to note down every day how many spare seats there are (ideally will get it validated by the driver). Clearly if it fills up on some days then there genuinely isn't room and we have to wait. If there are seats every day over a week, a fortnight, a month....should we really wait for the annual letter asking people if they still need their passes - which I assume was received during the summer?

My proposal to them is that if there are consistently empty seats over a good period (e.g. a fortnight) then they could perhaps email the holders of passes for that service to check whether they still need them. We could of course narrow things down by giving names of people we know to use the service...

I'm not super-hopeful. Any better ideas?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Waiting list success! Bus failure!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It's a tricky one - for example, both my boys have a pass but due to after school activities, at least 3 days a week one or other of them is not on the bus going home, as it leaves before the activities finish. But for that one day they are not using it, the other 4 they are, so their seat is still in use, if you see what I mean. It is rarer that they don't get the bus into school in the morning - but as we are one of the earlier stops, the bus is usally empty when they get on.

It is really frustrating though - especially when you have another son on there - I would hope that DS2 would get priority next time they issue passes, as a sibling? (I think there might be passes issued at Christmas as lots of people pay termly, but generally, people with a pass already get prioroty over a new applicant.) I would definitely keep in touch with the transport people though - you never know, they might be moved to put on another bus!
dobspoon

Post by dobspoon »

Thanks kenyancowgirl - probably if we do go looking at data it'll be most relevant to look at mornings. I imagine that as free passes have been significantly curtailed then people will be less inclined to hang onto passes...
dobspoon

Post by dobspoon »

Our week is complete. No response to Council requests for payment for two passes by phone, email or letter means we have a place (on the not-full buses). Went to see Miss Saigon to celebrate. Good job we weren't feeling miserable...

Props to Dan in the Operations team (option 1/option 2) who seemed to dedicate his morning to our problem yesterday. Lovely chap too.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Dan Jeans is Head of Ops, I believe, and yes, a thoroughly nice chap!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now