Historical data inc. Allocation, Results, Rank & Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Historical data inc. Allocation, Results, Rank & Appeals

Post by kenyancowgirl »

THE EQUAL PREFERENCE SYSTEM, OPERATED BY ALL COUNTY COUNCILS, MEANS EXACTLY THAT - ALL YOUR SCHOOL CHOICES ARE EQUAL PREFERENCE.

List the school you would most like to go to first
List the school you would like to goto second and so on

If you do not meet the criteria for the school you listed first (for example because you did not score highly enough) then your second choice school will be looked at AS IF IT WAS YOUR FIRST.

That is is. No games. No second guessing. Nothing. Just the equal preference system which has been described over and over again.

If you want to know about living outside the priority area and how that works, please look at warwickshire County Council's website - this is the same one you would have looked at to apply for the 11+ test in the first place.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Here it is explained with a simple example.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agnihimanshu

Post by agnihimanshu »

Tinkers wrote:
Leamington_Dad wrote:Question....when we fill in the CAF.....if we put KES 1st and then AGS 2nd and don't make it to KES do we damage our chances of AGS because we put it second.
No you don't damage your chances at all. If you dont get KES, AGS automatically becomes your first choice.
This is Correct. Pls refer - https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... n-form-caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by agnihimanshu on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think you need to read that link more carefully and look at the explanation of the equal preference system.

I am correct and any admissions authority will tell you the same thing.
agnihimanshu

Post by agnihimanshu »

Tinkers wrote:I think you need to read that link more carefully and look at the explanation of the equal preference system.

I am correct and any admissions authority will tell you the same thing.
Yes I stand corrected. Apologies ..I am a nervous Parent hoping best for my kid.
I have read this carefully and understood..thanks.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Excellent. :D

We have numerous people every year asking the same thing. Some head teachers don't help by saying the wrong thing or being ambiguous.
LAs could do more by making sure it's better explained too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Latymer School actually does it rather well (I am trying not to add, 'surprisingly' :lol: and I have to say it's heartwarming to see that they are so concerned about adhering to the Admissions Code with regard to the equal preference system, at least :) ).

(For 'Latymer' read 'any school' and for 'Officer in the Local Authority' almost certainly read 'algorithm'):

WHAT SHOULD I BEAR IN MIND WHEN I FILL IN THE COMMON APPLICATION FORM WHICH GOES TO THE BOROUGH? You express preferences for schools on the form. This goes to the Local Authority, NOT the secondary schools. They never know the position that you put their school on this preference form. It is illegal for schools to use the position that you put that school on the form as part of their over-subscription criteria.1 Schools know the names of students who applied to them, but they don’t know the preference order. The school puts the list of children in rank order, according to their own published over-subscription criteria. We strongly advise that you read these carefully. The officer in the Local Authority looks at the school you have put first. The officer is hoping to find the name of your child on the list of children who qualify for a place at your first preference school. If they find it, they will get an offer from that school, your first preference. N.B. NO CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO ANY OF YOUR OTHER CHOICES. This is very important. If you put Latymer second and qualify for your first choice school, your child may go through the Latymer testing procedure and be in the top 186, even have the very highest score and be top of the Latymer list, but will not get an offer at Latymer and will never know that they would have done, because they qualified for a school that you said you preferred. Every year there are many parents who do not appreciate this, thinking they can decline their first choice school, if their son or daughter qualifies, and take their second choice instead if they qualify there too. This is NOT how it works. Please understand this to avoid disappointment. If you put Latymer first and don’t qualify in the top 186, the officer in the Local Authority looks to see if your child’s name is in the list for your second preference school. This, in effect, becomes your first preference and is treated in the same way by this school as all of their other applicants, including the ones who put that school first. The school applies their over-subscription criteria to the names of all their applicants, irrespective of families’ preference order. This is because the school doesn’t know the preference order. If your child’s name is not on the list of your second preference school, the officer goes to your third choice, etc.

1.Prohibition of unfair oversubscription criteria 2.13 In setting oversubscription criteria the admission authorities for all maintained schools must not: give priority to children according to the order of other schools named as preferences by their parents, including ‘first preference first’ arrangements. (National Schools Admissions Code 2007
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Just going through some posts and found the figures that the 3 sections were totalling last year. Would this make any difference to the overall outcome/comparison to this year

In 2016 in 2017
NVR: /147.45 /148
Numeracy: / 134.21 /137
VR: /138.43 /150
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now