Weighting of scores according to ago

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dentvin

Weighting of scores according to ago

Post by Dentvin »

Not sure whether this should be in another area but hopefully will be moved if incorrect.

DD is an Summer child and has had to put up with quite unpleasant comments from her peers about her score being due to the ‘10 extra marks’ she has got because of her age. I have no idea how anyone has come up with this information - but I have been on the receiving end again now. Personally I am ignoring this but I wondered if there was anyway of knowing the difference age does make to the score, is this in all sections and how I can give her some answers to come back with if this carries on.

Thanking you in advance and for DD2!
Tinkers

Re: Weighting of scores according to ago

Post by Tinkers »

There are no marks ‘added’ or ‘deducted’ for age as such.

What happens is that children of the same age (GL do it as born in the same month) are compared against each other. If there is a difference between, say children born in September and those born in August, then the scores are adjusted to take that into account. If there is no difference, then there is no need to adjust.
Theoretically, if the August borns did better than the September borns, then the adjustment woud go the other way!

This might help
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dentvin

Re: Weighting of scores according to age

Post by Dentvin »

Thank you - that is what I thought. I'm not sure where the 10 extra marks rumour is from! Has gone through the year though (especially as the younger ones have scored slightly higher generally).
Tinkers

Re: Weighting of scores according to ago

Post by Tinkers »

Unless someone has got access to the raw scores, standardised scores and birth month data for those who have just sat, there would be no way of them knowing what the difference is.

Might be worth asking how they know as a means of shutting the discussion down.

Don’t let it detract from how your child has performed. There will always be parents looking for a reason why their child hasn’t done as well as yours. This comes up every year.

(We see both sides, those with younger children who say they didn't score well because their child is August born. It goes both ways.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now