RHS V SGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sphynx

RHS V SGGS

Post by sphynx »

Someone please make me feel better about this. DD has chosen RHS over SGGS. Having seen both schools I think SGGS has better facilities, is more organised and will be a school she could grow into. I have let her choose RHS as in the end she really wanted to go there. I am struggling though giving up that opportunity of an (arguably) better school. :cry:
sportsforall

Re: RHS V SGGS

Post by sportsforall »

My DD1 is at RHS and I am really keen for DD2 to go there, so selfishly don't want her competing with your daughter ;-)

DD1 only started in September but is really enjoying it, it is a bit shabby and seems quite relaxed but her confidence has grown so much and she is incredibly happy. I know that the scores for entry may not be quite so high but they do deliver great results for those who want it.

So far no regrets here.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

Thank you sportsforall. I am coming round to the idea. Destinations for year 6 leavers were strong. DD particularly liked the art room. The girls that showed us around said they are allowed in at lunchtimes, do you know if that's the case? Canteen looked good too, and it did seem friendly.
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

I don't know both schools so cannot comment on them side by side but I do think there is a value in a child going to their preferred school. If they have a choice I believe they will be happier and work harder in 'their' preferred school. We had a similar dilemma with DD1 who wanted a local comprehensive (if she didn't get into a grammar school) which was not our catchment school; however we would have had to drive her to this school every day as there are no busses between our village and the school. In the end we choose to go with her choice for the CAF as we felt she would be happier and work harder if she was in the school of her choice. (We completed the CAF before 11+ results were out, hence our dilemma.) Relax in the knowledge that she is happy.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

Thank you WMMum. Honestly this has been the hardest decision I can remember having to make! She is very pleased to have put RHS on the CAF and for it to have gone in. Torturing myself looking at old threads and finding complaints about RHS. I should just stop. What will be will be and at least she has a better option than our local (abysmal) comp!
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

My DD started RHS in September and is thriving there. A friend's daughter is at SGGS and also loves it, they are both good schools and I am sure your daughter will do well wherever she goes. What is transport like? From our limited experience clubs are in lunchtime so a school bus doesn't stop them joining in however hot lunches can!
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

sphynx wrote:Thank you sportsforall. I am coming round to the idea. Destinations for year 6 leavers were strong. DD particularly liked the art room. The girls that showed us around said they are allowed in at lunchtimes, do you know if that's the case? Canteen looked good too, and it did seem friendly.
That does seem to be true, really surprised that they are allowed to use their mobile phones in school time as well but only in the form rooms. Canteen seems ok and DD is enjoying hot meals most days.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:My DD started RHS in September and is thriving there. A friend's daughter is at SGGS and also loves it, they are both good schools and I am sure your daughter will do well wherever she goes. What is transport like? From our limited experience clubs are in lunchtime so a school bus doesn't stop them joining in however hot lunches can!
Good to hear your DD is doing well at RHS! We have put it first on our CAF so fingers crossed she will start there with her friend in September. At least once I have taken out a loan for the bus (and I really really hope there is a vacant seat!) I am so relieved it's done now (at least all we can do).
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

sportsforall wrote:
sphynx wrote:Thank you sportsforall. I am coming round to the idea. Destinations for year 6 leavers were strong. DD particularly liked the art room. The girls that showed us around said they are allowed in at lunchtimes, do you know if that's the case? Canteen looked good too, and it did seem friendly.
That does seem to be true, really surprised that they are allowed to use their mobile phones in school time as well but only in the form rooms. Canteen seems ok and DD is enjoying hot meals most days.
Thanks again sportsforall. Really come round to RHS. DD really loved it and hopefully that will help her get her head down. I am glad they study Classics as well. Just got to keep fingers crossed for March.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now