Lawrence Sheriff 2 week timetable and school sport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest201

Lawrence Sheriff 2 week timetable and school sport

Post by guest201 »

Does anyone else feel that the implementation/imposition of the two week timetable this year has had a devastating effect on school sport ?
The PE department seem to have downed tools regarding sports clubs fixtures etc, at least in my son's year, there has been no rugby club and no fixtures this year, no badminton club, hockey club has been on once or maybe twice. In fact the only sports club that has been on consistently is table tennis which is run by an outside organisation.
For a school that has always had a reputation for being strong in sports it is a very sad state of affairs.
Rugbymumto2

Re: Lawrence Sheriff 2 week timetable and school sport

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

I don't have a child there but a couple of friends have said very similar in conversation, it is making me think twice about whether it would be right for DS. I know sport isn't the be all end all but it is a major part of "him" so I don't think attending a school where it is almost forgotten would be the right place for him :?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That is weird - most schools in this area operate a two week timetable but sport afternoon for each year is every week and PE lessons are scheduled every week too. Possibly, LSS have got the balance wrong and only scheduled sport once a fortnight, meaning they might be out of sync for fixtures 9which are programmed in basically a year in advance?)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As far as I know, all the schools in our area operate a two week timetable (apart from DD's initial comprehensive, where it did but in year 7 the two weeks were identical, if you see what mean). They all manage to timetable Games and PE and compete against each other and in wider competition (DS2 isn't at all sporty, but his school seems to win lot of things, even without his input :lol: ). The matches are usually after school and at the weekend, though, so not affected by when actual Games / PE lessons are timetabled by the individual schools.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Trillis

Post by Trillis »

Only just seen this, but absolutely agree. My sons both enjoy sports and hate the loss of their clubs/fixtures. They have said the PE teachers really don't like fortnightly PE either. The school just isn't any good anymore for those who really enjoy sport. Extra curricular music has also gone downhill but this isn't due to the timetable - just a lot less kids coming into the school who play intruments I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now