Allocation discussion 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MelanieMac

Re: Allocation discussion 2018

Post by MelanieMac »

We weren’t offered anything this morning due to issues around proof of address timing, their error not ours. They rectified it in early January and confirmed in writing we wouldn’t be classed as late as a result, but still were.
We have had verbal confirmation our DS will get a place at KES. She said there were quite a few ‘admin’ errors they needed to rectify which were their errors and other queries which weren’t down to them.
They have been very professional and considering they are short staffed due to the weather, I think are handling the unenviable task of sorting us parents out very well.
Errors occur, we seem to have bourne the brunt of two now, causing tears from my DS but it’s nothing to get excited about, just got to be patient and await the correct result.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

I would feel very sorry for someone who gets told today that they have an offer and then have that withdrawn. I guess that they may not automatically get their second choice, or would someone from that second choice school get booted out?
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Milkfloat wrote:I would feel very sorry for someone who gets told today that they have an offer and then have that withdrawn. I guess that they may not automatically get their second choice, or would someone from that second choice school get booted out?
How does this work if it happens. Seems very unfair to take away a place from a child that it's been offered to?
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Moguie wrote:
Milkfloat wrote:I would feel very sorry for someone who gets told today that they have an offer and then have that withdrawn. I guess that they may not automatically get their second choice, or would someone from that second choice school get booted out?
How does this work if it happens. Seems very unfair to take away a place from a child that it's been offered to?
In some ways it is unfair, but if it means they've been offered a place which should go to someone else, and the school won't agree to go over PAN, it's the only option.

It can also be argued that not withdrawing the place is unfair, even if the school will go over PAN. Remember, the child should never have been offered in the first place.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Moguie wrote:
It is more unfair to the person who should have had the place....there is always the caveat that they can withdraw the place. The sooner they do it, the more "palatable"....the longer they leave it, the more likely parents might have invested in the offer and have grounds to try and appeal.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There is some info about places being withdrawn and the timescales here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

I also assume any places offered out of catchment in first round would be the first to be revoked. Fingers crossed the cock ups don't affect any of us. The schools that were our 2nd and 3rd choice will be full so would be stuffed!
Busybee09

Post by Busybee09 »

Surely if you lose a place because of an error in allocation they should revert to your second preference on the original application. Otherwise they are doing exactly the same to your child as has happened to the first and a child lower down has a place your child should have?
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Busybee09 wrote:Surely if you lose a place because of an error in allocation they should revert to your second preference on the original application. Otherwise they are doing exactly the same to your child as has happened to the first and a child lower down has a place your child should have?
That is kind of my thought... I think!

If the child they have messed up on in first place has a school that is listed as second then surely that's better than being given a place then ungiven a place to then find you have no place at all anywhere that you want which then means parents who work one direction that fits with school choices find themselves having to potentially chose a school that they know nothing about and potentially is logistically in the wrong place and more importantly in a school that is not to their child's liking. A child going to a school that they have selected be it 1st 2nd or 3rd choice will do better than having been let down by the system and dumped wherever there is a place. Something seriously wrong with the system if that's deemed how it works!!!
Sam1970

Post by Sam1970 »

My daughter was refused SGGS even though her score is fine. Called the admission office yesterday and they denied receiving her application (she did Bham test). I said I had an email from you aknowledging receipt of proof of address when you asked for it...they said they will call me today. No one called and when tried calling the office is shut because of bad weather. I work 30 miles away from home and I made to work so I dont care about their excuses. It means that my daughter will spend the weekend very upset until I speak to them on Monday. If they dont sort out this mess up it will be time for legal action