Allocation discussion 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DucatiFan

Re: Allocation discussion 2018

Post by DucatiFan »

JatinderMehta1 wrote:Hello. Cant get through to the WCC - does anyone have their waiting list number yet from SGGS?
Just received Warks letter which states wait lists for grammar schools not open until March 12th. Only non-selective schools waiting lists open from today. So no positions / numbers yet IMOH.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I'm afraid to say when errors were made last year and places finally allocated correctly. Those at the lower end of the spectrum did have their places withdrawn.

My niece is one who should have a place, but this will be at the expense of some other poor child.
ElsieM

Post by ElsieM »

Hello
Does any one know if we will get a letter from Warwickshire with explanation of our score vs AQS etc as previous years?
We are Solihull so have seen decision on line but wondered if will get something in writing as have no access to Warwick on-line system.
Thanks

... just seen mention of letter above so ignore me and will wait for postie tomorrow.
MadDad1975

Post by MadDad1975 »

Milkfloat wrote:A silly question. The offers have been made, but it seems there are quite a few screw ups by Warks and that there are many people who did not get an offer they should have had. How are they going to have enough spaces to sort this out? Will they have kept some spaces back and thus the waiting lists will be less likely to be used or will they push the class sizes larger? I assume they will not be taking away offers from people that they have already made them to?
The Council will start to have an idea how many issues there are.

If somebody clearly needs to be offered a place, they will make the offer. This will take the school over PAN and the admission authority (not the Council) needs to decide what to do.

They can wait for declines to come in, which will take the school back down to PAN, meaning less re-offers, or they can withdraw places. Unfortunately, a student with a withdrawn offer will not necessarily go to the top of the waiting list, as they might find themselves behind late applicants.

It is technically possible in a selective school not to offer up to PAN if there are not enough children of the appropriate ability. Bit that's not an issue here so no places will have been 'held back'.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Ashu wrote:
Rugbymumto2 wrote:http://www.rugbyhighschool.co.uk/

This is their website, no mention in their name of girls or grammar, there never has been. There are also NO other schools you can apply to in Rugby through Warwickshire that have Rugby in their name.
i thought there is another Rugby Free school which came as a choice. But looks like Rugby High School seems to be the right one.
Thanks.
Yes you are correct, but that is still only 2 schools, you seem to be trying to find things panic about, relax and celebrate!
Ashu

Post by Ashu »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:
Ashu wrote:
Rugbymumto2 wrote:http://www.rugbyhighschool.co.uk/

This is their website, no mention in their name of girls or grammar, there never has been. There are also NO other schools you can apply to in Rugby through Warwickshire that have Rugby in their name.
i thought there is another Rugby Free school which came as a choice. But looks like Rugby High School seems to be the right one.
Thanks.
Yes you are correct, but that is still only 2 schools, you seem to be trying to find things panic about, relax and celebrate!
Yes I am just too anxious, yes it is time to celebrate with DD.
Thanks!
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

MadDad1975 wrote:
Milkfloat wrote:A silly question. The offers have been made, but it seems there are quite a few screw ups by Warks and that there are many people who did not get an offer they should have had. How are they going to have enough spaces to sort this out? Will they have kept some spaces back and thus the waiting lists will be less likely to be used or will they push the class sizes larger? I assume they will not be taking away offers from people that they have already made them to?
The Council will start to have an idea how many issues there are.

If somebody clearly needs to be offered a place, they will make the offer. This will take the school over PAN and the admission authority (not the Council) needs to decide what to do.

They can wait for declines to come in, which will take the school back down to PAN, meaning less re-offers, or they can withdraw places. Unfortunately, a student with a withdrawn offer will not necessarily go to the top of the waiting list, as they might find themselves behind late applicants.

It is technically possible in a selective school not to offer up to PAN if there are not enough children of the appropriate ability. Bit that's not an issue here so no places will have been 'held back'.

Should I not pop the cork just yet then? In Eastern circle for LSS offer but on low end!
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Do the old hands think that this years cock ups are typical in nature and in number, or is this a special kind of low?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Milkfloat wrote:Do the old hands think that this years cock ups are typical in nature and in number, or is this a special kind of low?

Typical in nature - possibly a few more than in other years in Warks .
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The errors always seem to be around cross county transfers (but not necessarily Warks's fault) or where people when you press say "oh well there was s slight issue with our proof of address" or "well they marked us as late but then said we weren't", so when you unpick it a bit you can see why there is a problem, even if there shouldn't be.

As numbers of applicants increase and start to come from further afield then it's unsurprising that there are errors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now