Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Varsha2017

Re: Transportation to RHS from Whitnash

Post by Varsha2017 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
gemgem wrote:Sorry, I meant
Stratford upon avon schools. Obviously they have high qualifying marks but they are better schools. There are many students going from Warwick to these schools.
Like some one specified, without a direct bus, long journey can spoil all the benefits of going to a Grammer school.
End of the day, we will have to live with and be happy with what we got!
Just because they have generally higher qualifying marks does NOT make them better schools. They are all very different and do not suit everyone. We know people whose parents were desperate to get their child into x or y school because it must have been the "best" due to the high marks needed to get in, and now the child is there, they realise they are completely unsuited to the environement, would have been far better at an alternative which actually would have been easier to get into and have been pulled out and sent privately at vast expense. Parents who choose a school because it is the best fit are the parents who are choosing the better school.

Logistically for those from Warwick, a Warwick school is the better choice. They are all schools, following the same curriculums. Comprehensive, Grammar, even the Crammer's that you refer to..... :shock: :lol:

Apologies I am new in UK ..only 2 years...so what is qualifying criteria for a school to be a Grammar or otherwise?
How as a Parent we are supposed to know which school suits which type of children...any amount of googling or speaking with Parents whose children are in a particular school can still go wrong. So I don't think Parents are wrong in thinking schools that are demanding high qualifying marks will maintain a good holistic development of child. Others schools too will and should...but just that in Grammar they will have to keep up to reputation. "Best FIT" sounds good but practically will you know before hand?? I don't think so.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Varsha2017 wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
gemgem wrote:Sorry, I meant
Stratford upon avon schools. Obviously they have high qualifying marks but they are better schools. There are many students going from Warwick to these schools.
Like some one specified, without a direct bus, long journey can spoil all the benefits of going to a Grammer school.
End of the day, we will have to live with and be happy with what we got!
Just because they have generally higher qualifying marks does NOT make them better schools. They are all very different and do not suit everyone. We know people whose parents were desperate to get their child into x or y school because it must have been the "best" due to the high marks needed to get in, and now the child is there, they realise they are completely unsuited to the environement, would have been far better at an alternative which actually would have been easier to get into and have been pulled out and sent privately at vast expense. Parents who choose a school because it is the best fit are the parents who are choosing the better school.

Logistically for those from Warwick, a Warwick school is the better choice. They are all schools, following the same curriculums. Comprehensive, Grammar, even the Crammer's that you refer to..... :shock: :lol:

Apologies I am new in UK ..only 2 years...so what is qualifying criteria for a school to be a Grammar or otherwise?
How as a Parent we are supposed to know which school suits which type of children...any amount of googling or speaking with Parents whose children are in a particular school can still go wrong. So I don't think Parents are wrong in thinking schools that are demanding high qualifying marks will maintain a good holistic development of child. Others schools too will and should...but just that in Grammar they will have to keep up to reputation. "Best FIT" sounds good but practically will you know before hand?? I don't think so.
However the one thing you can control is the location of the school and how you are going to get there. And choosing a school without having a clue how you are going to get there is naive. Regardless of how good you think the school is that school isn't going to be a good fit.
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

However the one thing you can control is the location of the school and how you are going to get there. And choosing a school without having a clue how you are going to get there is naive. Regardless of how good you think the school is that school isn't going to be a good fit.[/quote]

100% Agreed. By not doing it is simply putting additional burden on the child.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MSK wrote:My DD got place in RHS, not sure transportation from Whitnash, anybody else in similar situation? Any suggestions what we can do?
Looking at the responses from those familiar with the area, the impression given is not that back at pre CAF submission time there was a half-hourly public service - or even a once a day school bus - that has mysteriously been axed. Your options would appear to be

- mum's / dad's taxi or a minicab all the way there and back
- ditto to and from the nearest stop on a bus route serving the school
- petition the LA / local bus companies to start up a service along the required route.
- ask to go on the waiting list for a school which is on a bus route from where you live
- move house

Although there was someone else last year in your general area looking for a car share, I think, but I can't remember exactly from where and to which school, in afraid.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSK

Post by MSK »

Thanks for your responses. When we filled the form we knew it is difficult to get place is Stratford grammar schools and the only chance we have is for RHS. Yes we are on waiting list for AGS.
I opened this page to understand if anybody else is in similar situation as us in terms of transportation, seems like the answer is No. I think we will follow one of suggestion listed by Toadmom.
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Just to add to the mix....I think the reason why the AWW is so much higher around Stratford and Alcester schools is because the demand is bigger due to accessibility and you may have noticed (or not) there are significantly less places available at KES so the AWW has to be higher. Personally I commuted from Stratford to Leamington to school. It's doable as it's a direct bus on fast roads.

RHS is not easily accessible as it's out of town and the bus is very expensive.

Have you considered moving if you really want your daughter to go There?
MSK

Post by MSK »

@Moguie, yes we are considering relocating.
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

MSK wrote:@Moguie, yes we are considering relocating.
Bare in mind that the school is quite out on a limb in your choice of location to move to so think of where you all need to get to so make access to other places like if you have to travel out for work, or if you travel at weekends and for holidays etc
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Hi MSK,

I used to live very close to RHS and work at Tachbrook Park and the public transport between the two was non existent then so don't be surprised if it hasn't improved. The school isn't totally out on a limb though, the buses are on http://www.rugbyhighschool.co.uk/page/? ... ts&pid=101 I haven't checked them but my DD catches a bus laid on by WCC at almost £800 per term for 4 miles, the school arranged ones are £700. Hopefully you can find a way to get her there, if not, house price here are way cheaper then Leamington so you'll likely be able to upsize!!
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

I meant it's not in a central town location so access is not as easy by bus so to watch. If I was moving I would not want to move and then have to.drive to drop DD at a bus stop so to try and do.that research first so if need be she can get to.and from school independently.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now