RHS Year 7 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Merlin06

Re: RHS Year 7 2018

Post by Merlin06 »

sportsforall wrote:Y5&6 Open Evening is the 20th June. Induction Day is 10th July.

From recollection we got a huge pack of stuff sent through before the induction day, but I cannot find it so cannot tell you the exact date - lots of policies and forms to be completed and returned then. We also had to bus pass applications by the 30th June from memory.

On the induction day parents were invited in from 2:30pm for a 'briefing' and then we took the girls home at 3:45pm. RHS has quite a long school day.

Also at the induction day we could sign the girls up for their music lessons.
Can i ask how you find out about the computers that they need? Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Merlin06 wrote:
sportsforall wrote:Y5&6 Open Evening is the 20th June. Induction Day is 10th July.

From recollection we got a huge pack of stuff sent through before the induction day, but I cannot find it so cannot tell you the exact date - lots of policies and forms to be completed and returned then. We also had to bus pass applications by the 30th June from memory.

On the induction day parents were invited in from 2:30pm for a 'briefing' and then we took the girls home at 3:45pm. RHS has quite a long school day.

Also at the induction day we could sign the girls up for their music lessons.
Can i ask how you find out about the computers that they need? Thanks
Not in your area, but terminally curious :lol:

Try the 'lease scheme' tab here?

http://www.rugbyhighschool.co.uk/page/? ... ion&pid=17
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I went to the open evening this week and was impressed again with RHS. Couple of niggly worries though. I have been reading the minutes of the Governors meetings and Ms Marten mentions the school might change with a new head teacher. I did wonder if it meant she was thinking of leaving so went and asked her directly. She dodged the question - confirmed she would be there in September but no further.

I have also seen online a letter from last year about school funding. RHS is apparently one of the least funded schools in the country and are set to loose a further 2.5% from their budget in 2019 which Ms Marten suggests could lead to subjects being dropped from the curriculum.

Anybody got any insight.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Nothing on the head teacher. Definitely a few teachers leaving this year but not sure if that is at a similar level to other schools.

Ref funding: it is really underfunded compared with other schools. We were asked for £90 donation over the course of the year. They have already dropped down to just one modern language in year 7 - French or Spanish - but I am unclear if that was a timetabling issue or funding. There really isn't a huge range of subjects anyway so not sure what else could be dropped.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I am really disappointed that due to the WCC messing up the admissions process RHS will be oversubscribed and my DD will miss out on Textiles and Food Tech for the first year at least. Textiles was the subject that sold the school to her. Not to mention having to stretch resources even more to accommodate the extra girls.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Has it had so much affect? That is really poor! DD is currently Y7 so it hasn’t affected her but she has 3 very good friends starting next year. Have they had to add another class or are all the forms bigger? Sorry your DD is disappointed, hopefully other things will turn out to be what she expected.
cupcake19

Post by cupcake19 »

That's a shame sphynx. Hopefully she'll get the chance to do it in Year 8, as textiles is one subject my daughter loved this year. The homework certainly took a lot longer than 20 minutes. There was quite a few times she watched different types of stitches on you-tube videos, so maybe something you can do at home with her and kits from Hobbycraft. It's not quite the same as doing it in School though.
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

All the classes have had to accommodate 1 or 2 extra children which has meant the carousel they used to operate with classes of no more than 20 isn’t possible. DD really enjoyed her induction day but predictably her favourite was the textiles class where they made a bookmark with beads. I am really cross and not like I can do anything about it. I understand the school has had to do the best they could with a bad situation. The letter they gave out about it said they hoped they might be able to reintroduce the two classes in year 8 when the funding for the extra pupils comes in.

I might go and complain to the MP for the area about the lack of funding and reduced opportunities for children because of their short sighted nonsense.
Merlin06

Post by Merlin06 »

Hi
I didn't see any letters being given out today at induction day. Did I totally miss them?
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

The letters were mentioned in the speech and then available on the table in the corridor on the way out. Its seems they have more art this year (two lessons whereas current Y7 has only one) and PHSE all year - last year this was a carousel subject.

Seven extra in the year is quite significant and I wonder what else it will impact. The currently Y7s are just back from their outward bounds adventure and we were told about that last year on induction day, there was no mention of it yesterday.

DD2 did ask how they would fit 31/32 girls into some of the classrooms, I guess it will be quite cosy. I think the funding is doubly disappointing as they won't see the bump for a year and as a high-achieving grammar they already get less than many schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now