Ashlawn Vs Higham Lane

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
heavym

Ashlawn Vs Higham Lane

Post by heavym »

Hi

I need some advise, I live in Nuneaton and I am considering of sending my DS to Ashlawn. I have read many posts about Ashlawn but wanted peoples opinion on how it compares to Higham Lane in Nuneaton.

Thanks
Fatnorville

Re: Ashlawn Vs Higham Lane

Post by Fatnorville »

This is a very broad and open ended question. Is there anything you specifically need to know? You might then get a better response.
heavym

Post by heavym »

Hi,

My DS is on the waiting list for Ashlawn Selective and I believe that there may be a good chance given his place in the list to get a place at Ashlawn selective. Higham Lane has a good reputation and academic achievement is very good. The question is it worth the effort with daily travel challenge from Nuneaton to Ashlawn since it is not a grammar school like LS.
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

heavym wrote:Hi,

My DS is on the waiting list for Ashlawn Selective and I believe that there may be a good chance given his place in the list to get a place at Ashlawn selective. Higham Lane has a good reputation and academic achievement is very good. The question is it worth the effort with daily travel challenge from Nuneaton to Ashlawn since it is not a grammar school like LS.
You have already answered your question!

Ashlawn is at the farther side of Rugby. Just imagine the travel needs for next 5 years and how does your child will cope up with it! Even if was a grammar school, there is no point of putting extra pressure to your child if the travel arrangements are not going to be feasible. There is a clear relation to the child's academic achievement to the the daily routine. School is only a factor. If a child child has to spent 3 hours in travel, definitely it will affect the performance in my opinion.
But only you can make the decision!
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Have you looked into transport for him? What time does he need to leave the house to get there? What time will he get home? Will he be able to do afterschool activities?
I am considering the same school for DS in a couple of years and for us the timings are ok as we are in an outskirt of Rugby with a school bus direct. For afterschool clubs he would need to stay in the library until I get out of work but still achievable.
I don't know the Nuneaton school but I suspect the ease of transport would far outweigh any perceived benefit of Ashlawn.
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

Rugbymumto2 wrote:Have you looked into transport for him? What time does he need to leave the house to get there? What time will he get home? Will he be able to do afterschool activities?
I am considering the same school for DS in a couple of years and for us the timings are ok as we are in an outskirt of Rugby with a school bus direct. For afterschool clubs he would need to stay in the library until I get out of work but still achievable.
I don't know the Nuneaton school but I suspect the ease of transport would far outweigh any perceived benefit of Ashlawn.
Best way to find out is .. drive to the school during "school times" for a week, your question will be answered automatically. Also bear in mind, the road works in M6 for next 3 years will have an impact in the travel.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I know there are students who take the train from Nuneaton to LSS on a daily basis and that commute, although difficult with only one train per hour, is doable for them. You will need to factor in another 25 minutes to get to Ashlawn from the station and vice versa and whatever time you need to get to Nuneaton station.

I would ask what is your DS' S view on this? What would they like to do,
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Fatnorville wrote:I know there are students who take the train from Nuneaton to LSS on a daily basis and that commute, although difficult with only one train per hour, is doable for them. You will need to factor in another 25 minutes to get to Ashlawn from the station and vice versa and whatever time you need to get to Nuneaton station.

I would ask what is your DS' S view on this? What would they like to do,
To add to that I would say what about his social element of school life. Are you happy to cart friends back and forth and to cart him back and forth possibly to the other side of rugby/Northamptonshire?
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Any update on this? What diesyour DS say about Higham Lane vs Ashlawn?
heavym

Post by heavym »

My DS is keen to go to Ashlawn even with the challenges of travel logistics. Unfortunately he did not get a place in the reallocation. So we are in the process of making an appeal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now