Offers for SGGS, KES & AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nlfh

Re: Offers for SGGS, KES & AGS

Post by nlfh »

Hi
All of my children attend/attended a state primary school where there is no encouragement or help for GS. Undertook preparation for 11+ with a tutor and both children had their hearts completely set on the schools so this was all of the encouragement they needed to do the extra prep work. Our secondary feeder school is Chipping Campden and our primary school only focuses on getting children into this school; not all children got a place at this school though this year from my child's Y6 class.
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

We used a tutor for both DDs. Our tutor was a retired school teacher who taught the curriculum and not just towards the exam as we wanted the children to benefit from the tutoring even if they did not get into GS. We choose tutoring for DD1 as she and I was already clashing on school homework and we felt it was more important that we, as parents, were there as support for her. (Although it was her choice to take the 11+ I worried that me giving her extra homework would not work).

As we had used a tutor for DD1 we felt it only right that we gave DD2 the same option, and actually it was good as the school had let her drop behind and she had quite a catching up job to do.

We also did a couple of external mock exams for both girls. DD1 have actually said that they were really important as they gave her the experience of sitting in a larger room with lots of other children and to experience the format of the test.

I do not believe using a tutor is necessary, it was just what we did. I do however believe some preparation is necessary and the primary schools are not allowed to do any prep with the children.
MelanieMac

Post by MelanieMac »

Hi

My eldest DS took the exam in September and score 244, so has accepted a place at KES. He attends a private school in Stratford on Avon and they spent much of year 5 preparing for the entrance exams for grammar and private schools. All of the children bar one or two have gained places at either private or grammar schools. My second son is currently in Year 5 at the local state school (he didn’t want to move to the private school) and they don’t provide any preparation bar an after school club. Both my sons have had a tutor for year 5 to assist with exam technique so it will be interesting how number two son gets on. They have identical IQ’s so the biggest difference will be the school, although DS 1 was born in November and DS 2 in June....
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So you paid private school fees AND a tutor to get your son a place? :shock: :( That shows little faith in the private school - I wonder how many of the other children also had paid tutors to help them get their GS offers? I hope that people realise that it is not necessary to fork out that much money to get a place at a GS - with a score of 244, your son would likely have done OK from a "bog standard" primary, possibly supported by some familiarisation.

The state primary should not be providing the after school club for 11+ either - they are not supposed to - unless this is a private arrangement that just takes place on School grounds.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Hi

Scores depend on several factors and the birth month was not applicable in our case.

I have similar ability twin boys who both had the same primary experience (clearly the same - summer - birthday yet very different scores).

In the Walsall test they were 36 marks apart yet are normally 10 marks apart (as replicated in the Birmingham test), but one just simply didn't give his expected performance in test conditions.

Blimey nervousmom - I didn't realise you had been through this so many times. I'm in awe!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Ricky74 wrote:Hi

Scores depend on several factors and the birth month was not applicable in our case.

I have similar ability twin boys who both had the same primary experience (clearly the same - summer - birthday yet very different scores).

In the Walsall test they were 36 marks apart yet are normally 10 marks apart (as replicated in the Birmingham test), but one just simply didn't give his expected performance in test conditions.

Blimey nervousmom - I didn't realise you had been through this so many times. I'm in awe!
I'm a seasoned 11+ pro!!!

DS1 sat test in 2012 - started KEFW in 2013
DD1 sat it in 2015 - started KEFW in 2016

Both scored the same score!

My niece sat 11+ last September and is currently 2nd on waiting list for KEFW.

My DS2 is in year 3 and will start his tuition in September - to sit 11+ in 2020. My nephew will also be sitting the same time as DS2 - they are currently in same class at school, so will both have same tuition.

My DD2 will start reception in September - hopefully to sit 11+ in 2024!!

I'm only half way through this journey!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now