Bags for school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Bags for school

Post by Guest55 »

The lockers that parents should insist are provided for storage. Every school I know [and that is plenty] has them available to rent or provided for those without the ability to pay.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:The lockers that parents should insist are provided for storage. Every school I know [and that is plenty] has them available to rent or provided for those without the ability to pay.
Oh right - wasn't aware of them
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

Guest55 wrote:The lockers that parents should insist are provided for storage. Every school I know [and that is plenty] has them available to rent or provided for those without the ability to pay.
My eldest had a locker year 7 but from then on its human donkey status. That's Lutterworth High
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Moguie wrote:My eldest had a locker year 7 but from then on its human donkey status. That's Lutterworth High
So what are parents doing about this? If the schools expect your support then they did to provide suitable storage.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Some schools simply don't have the space for lockers, my son's doesn't.
I wonder how many children who have lockers in other schools actually use them. My daughter has a locker but the logistics of getting to and from it mean that a lot of the time she doesn't use it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our school has lockers but certainly not enough for every student. Space is at a premium. They also have bag racks to store large games bags etc that will not fit in the lockers which are, generally pretty small.

DS1 had one in Y7 but actually it was more trouble than it was worth - inevitably they are far away from at least some of the lessons and, he found that it was far better to store his books at home around his study desk. He packed his bag carefully each night for the next day and it meant that he had all his books at home so he could choose when to do homework, could catch up on anything missed or if he wanted to learn for a test in a way that wouldn’t have been possible if he had used the locker as his mainstorage.

Packing the bag is a learned skill - at home he had support from us to make sure he didn’t forget things - when he had a locker and was trying to pack things in it ready to take home and do homework, with the pressure of only 10-15 minutes after school to get to the bus stop, it was causing him unnecessary stress!

It is certainly not necessary to carry everything around every day but a new Y7 may need confidence to do that. Find out what works for you and your home situation - lockers, if available, are usually cheap enough to rent but may not work practically for everyone. It is pointless having a locker if it isn’t used!!
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

My DD has a locker, hers is near her form room so she keeps everything there and packs form the locker for the day, she very rarely brings any books home choosing to fit her homework into lunch and the library staying late once a week. I know this is likely to change as she get higher in the school but at the moment the locker is great as she leaves her PE kit in there for a week too. I would hate for her to have to bring it all home everyday so I am pleased they have lockers for the whole school.

As for bags, before she started we went bag shopping and I made her try them on with my handbag inside to feel how comfotable they were, she ended up with a Penguin one from TK Maxx which has been great all year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Schools need to be inventive re storage - you can get outdoor lockers to have against the outer wall of a building. It's amazing what can be done even in old building to create the space if parents push for it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My point is that I as a parent wouldn't push for it because it is not an issue for us - I appreciate that others may feel differently (and our school has all manner of quirky storage but outside space is a massive premium too!) I certainly wouldn't want either boy to leave their PE kit in their locker for a week, for example - I find it needs washing after every wear but, again, others may feel differently!

I suppose what I am saying is what is right for one parent or one school may not be right for all the others and as parents you have to find a solution that works for you - if you want a locker there is likely to be one at whatever school you go to (with a few exceptions) but many parents realise that it simply oesn't work well for them and are happy with the solutions they find!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

What if someone invented a table with a lid with storage space below. Maybe make them out of wood and call them "desks"? An end to the storage problems :-)