Exam day - format of the exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Seraphina

Exam day - format of the exam

Post by Seraphina »

My daughter has registered for the 11+ exam in September. Can anyone tell me how the exam works, in terms of format? I know there are two sections to the test, of about an hour each. Within a section, do they get a series of short timed segments within the hour, and can they go back to earlier segments if they finish another segment within time? Do they get a break between the two sections?

WCC website doesn't tell me this - can anyone from previous years let me know?

Thanks - just need to prepare her for what to expect on the day.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Exam day - format of the exam

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You need to have a look at the CEM section on the forum and the very many threads in the Warwickshire section about the CEM format.

Be warned though - CEM are notorious for changing things without notice - the key is to expect the unexpected and to work fast. If your chld is one that is thrown by the unusual then they are less likely to do very well.

I would tell her to do her best, work her hardest, expect the unexpected and know that a GS education is not the be all and end all and a hard working child with supportive parents will do well wherever they go.
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Thanks - I'll have a look at the CEM thread. Looked through this thread for a few pages, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the advice too - I've read posts about not talking about a pass/fail, which I thought was a great idea. We're looking at all six high schools in our area (Rugby), so hopefully she will get a good idea of what they all offer, and she can make her mind up which one/two she might like to go to.
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

Most of your questions are covered in the familiarisation booklet which you can find on Warwickshire’s website here:
https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/elevenplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look on the right hand side for a link to the booklet.
You can normally not go back once you have left a section and moved onto the next timed section. There is normally a break between the two 1 hour sessions. I suggest to send her in with a snack for the break.
One thing I learnt is to focus on my dd’s best working speed and remind her it is about working at her best working speed, not so fast she makes silly mistakes or panic.
I have just been through this for the second time and am happy to answer any questions if I can.
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Thanks - that's really helpful, and I've now had a look at the WCC link. I'll remember to send her in with a snack too!
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I didn’t realise until a week before hand that whilst there are no ‘real’ past papers to try there are practice papers - we got them from Amazon. Some come with a DVD which you play alongside whilst your child is practicing. It just gives them an idea of timing, the automated ‘please turn the paper’ instructions etc. I am very glad we found them. I agree though that they should only be used to give an idea of what it might be like so if things are slightly different it doesn’t throw your child.