Scores for KES and AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kelbel

Scores for KES and AGS

Post by kelbel »

Hi

I have read lots of posts on here and found them really helpful for a newbie like myself so thank you in advance for any advice given.

I am trying to manage my son’s expectations as to how is doing versus what is needed to get into these 2 schools. He does not have a tutor so I cannot get advice there on how he is doing.

I understand that the raw scores will be standardised and that it is the ranking that counts, rather than the standardised score. However, as all I have to work with at the moment is his raw scores, I’m trying to work out as much as I can with that info.

When I look at the example test result letter for last year, it says that the total achievable score was 293. Looking at the AQS for the previous year on that letter, these were 232 for KES and 213 for AGS (NB: I know that these are the 2017 AQS not 2018 but I only have the total achievable score for 2017 to compare them to). If I take 232 as a percentage of 293, that is 79.2% and 213 is 72.7%.

Would I be right in thinking that these would give me a rough idea of what he needs to achieve for each school? I know that other factors come into it but just trying to get an idea.

We looked round both schools and really liked them both for different reasons. We preferred KES due to its smaller size and distance from our house but think this is probably unrealistic and would be thrilled if he got a place at AGS.

He has done 4 full length CEM papers and has gone from 61% on the first one 4 months ago to around 73% recently. He also did a mock test through DIY 11 plus for which he scored 74%. These results are obviously just raw scores but would I be right in thinking that he has a chance for AGS if he performs at this level on the day? I know the AQS went up this year (to 218 i think). His birth month is June.

I have told him that we will be very proud of him no matter what as he has worked very hard and that, if he doesn’t score highly enough on the day, he will still have done really well as it’s a very competitive test and we’re proud of him for trying.

Thanks for your help!
ToadMum

Re: Scores for KES and AGS

Post by ToadMum »

Long story short, a standardised score is not a percentage of the maximum achieved / achievable standardised score. A standardised score is not a percentage of anything.

Whatever certain posters on this forum will assert.
:roll:. (A favourite one being that if you need a standardised score of 115 to pass, you need to get , 82% - 115/140 - in the exam).

The raw score ' underpinning' any standardised score will depend on the mean (raw score) and standard deviation of the set of scores under consideration. So the mean could be 40%, 50%, 60% or any %, depending on the cohort taking the exam and the raw score represented by the 'pass' standardised score will reflect this.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kelbel

Post by kelbel »

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have read the article you have linked which was really useful, thanks.

Just to be sure that I fully understand, does this mean that there is no way of even getting an idea of what kind of raw scores we need to be achieving on practice papers to know if he has a chance of getting in to these 2 schools? I just want to have an idea of whether he is in with a chance or not so I can manage his expectations. However, from what you are saying and from reading this article I am not sure that this will be possible. If so, we’ll just have to accept this and continue as planned.

Thanks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yes, you just have to say that the most important thing (after reading and listening very carefully to all instructions on the day) is to do his best. If he finds the paper hard, then in all probability, lots of other candidates will, as well. Possibly not best to dwell too much on the fact that the opposite also applies, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kelbel

Post by kelbel »

That makes sense, thanks. In fact, although it’s not the clarity I was initially hoping for, it is actually much better as we can just spend the last bit of time making sure he’s clear on technique etc and not worrying about achieving a hypothetical score which does not actually exist!

Thank you.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just encourage him to do his very best - if he isn't sure of a question, guess an answer - so that he does not get out of sync on his answer sheet - (mark it so he can easily find it and go back to it if he has time in that section), and when he has a minute to go just guess an answer for each of the remaining questions (just as well choosing one letter as randomly marking!)

Speed and accuracy are key with the KES/AGS CEM test - you have to answer as many of the questions correctly as you can - I know that is obvious! There may be more questions than he can answer but he needs to try and answer as many of them as he can (if that means guessing towards the end, then so be it!)

ToadMum is absolutely right in her explanation - if the test is very, very hard, the raw score to gain a pass could be relatively low and vice versa. You have no idea how "bright" or otherwise the cohort taking the test are. When you get your test result before your CAF has to go in in October, you can make a decision as to whether it is worth having a punt on putting KES first choice, with his score - and AGS second - feel free to pm me then for advice (2 boys in KES currently).
kelbel

Post by kelbel »

Hi Kenyancowgirl

Thanks for the response. I’ve been reading posts on here since April (although I didn’t register until yesterday so I could post my question) so I have picked up lots of useful info and have been able to explain to him about the fact that CEM is a very fast test and that he needs to make a decision to move on quickly if he can’t answer as it’s not worth losing lots of time on one question. He also understands that he needs to answer everything, even if some are guesses. He hates moving on when something isn’t finished but understands that it’s necessary for this particular test. We have been practising all of these strategies so I’m so glad that I came across this forum.

Thanks for your offer of advice for the CAF once we have his score-really appreciate that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now