Ashlawn MFL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest201

Re: Ashlawn MFL

Post by guest201 »

There has always been a lot of myths and confusion surrounding the Ashlawn MFL. When my children did it there were children who lived well inside the Ashlawn catchment area and would have been allocated Ashlawn School anyway who sat it because they thought it was a way into Ashlawn Selective. As Fatnorville said quite a few will have sat the 11+ and will be offered a Grammar place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Seraphina wrote:It was really busy yesterday. Does anyone know what happens if, for example, you get 50 kids with the same top score? Unlikely I know, but with so many taking the test, I expect there will be more than 25 who get high marks.
The places are not allocated as a result of taking the test per se - registering to sit the test is not applying for a place at the school. This can only be done by naming the school as a preference on your LA's Common Application Form (and the school should make this crystal clear in its advice to parents). If more DC than the number of places available, all with the same score, actually apply for a place, then the within category oversubscription criteria will be applied - e.g.Looked After children, then siblings, then proximity, or whatever the school says it will do. And again, this should be made absolutely clear in the school's Admissions Policy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Thanks Toadmum - yes, that's logical and makes sense.

We're over 4 miles from the school, so it's a long-shot for us! At least my DD has now chosen another school she'd be happy at, if she doesn't get into Ashlawn.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Thanks for the responses. We’re also a bit further out. Roll on October and our letters!!
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Has anyone received their MFL results? I know they said they would be posted by 20th October, so I'm hoping we'll get something through today!
Pumpkin1234

Post by Pumpkin1234 »

I've received today's post, and not got it yet! I'm expecting it will be later in the week - Friday or Saturday!
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

These were posted this afternoon 2nd class x
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

My ds did really badly in the 11+ in 2016.

He missed the mfl by 4 marks, I rang the school and was told he was very unlikely to get a place in the grammar stream via the mfl.

Phone the school, ask for the mfl department (not admissions) and register your keen interest, and leave your name. It can't hurt.

He got into the grammar stream.
GSHopeful

Post by GSHopeful »

Skipsmash can I ask his score that year in the MFL test please? Thank you for your post. Really useful. Is he enjoying it at Ashlawn?
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

GSHopeful, I've looked back. MFL pass mark in 2016 was 420. He got 3 marks less (417) sorry about my poor memory - I said 4 marks. I am fairly sure there were several with the same mark.

I expect some passed the 11+ so did not take up a place at Ashlawn Selective but went to LSS/RHS or an independent school, thereby freeing up selective places.

I was surprised that I didn't get notification that he was in the selective stream, and my ds only guessed from the dc he was with, and the fact he was doing two languages. Dc in non selective only do one language.

I have also learned there are actually four selective classes, and there doesn't seem to be a top one as he is in a class with dc who did well in the 11+, and/or mfl, SATS, or got in on appeal. That seems to be the same for each class. So that means 120 out of 330 dc are in the grammar stream anyway. I do wonder if one of these four classes is only for children who passed the 11+ - but I don't think there is.

He is flying high at his subjects (maths, sciences) but not so much for the mfl - he hates languages - and English - but is in the top set for all of them and has not moved down. I think the teaching is - on the whole - very good, although he does moan about new teachers.

I find the teachers very approachable, quick to respond to emails, and helpful.

He has lots of tests (which keeps him on his toes as although he hates revising and homework, he hates not doing well). This is very good for him, because he is lazy, but competitive. I don't know if all schools have so many tests.

He will be doing GCSE options next year, where the grammar stream disappears except for Maths, English and Science.

I have a few moans. I have a dd at RHS so I can compare Ashlawn grammar stream to a grammar school. Ashlawn do not give out text books, although of course lots of work is on line, or photocopied. I don't feel work is marked often enough, either. RHS give out text books and mark work more frequently.

Another big moan is the fact that lunch is so late; something like 145-230 which I think is far too late - there is then just one lesson after lunch. My ds takes a packed lunch to eat at morning break, I think there is not much choice at lunch because unless you're quick, there's not much food left in the canteen!

He is happy, has made new friends. At the beginning, dc were told who to sit next to in each class, which helped him make new friends. As far as we are concerned, he is happy and doing well, and there's not much more I can ask for. I think he would have been happy and coped with the work at LSS but I do like the fact he is at a mixed school - and I'll never know.

There is a new head starting after Christmas, I've met her, and I think she will be good.

Good luck.x