Results October 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Results October 2018

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Vicksteroo wrote:I'm feeling nervous - having seen how many took the test this year (and comparing to last year) I'm genuinely concerned that the AQSs will take a jump this year. For example, my son would have been ranked 189 last year but is 392 this year - so there are more than twice as many children with a higher score, and I assume, therefore, twice as many above him in the allocation of places. I can't be sure this is a linear trend as you go down the scoreboard, but if it is surely the AQSs must rise? Apparently it's a boom year, so no wonder so many took the test, but that will presumably have a direct impact on application numbers too. I'm not too worried about our school choices personally, but I am worried for others who are closer to last year's AQS score for their chosen school.

Best of luck to everyone who's going for it, and if anyone can put our collective minds at rest please do :)
A lot of the people ranked above you will be female and/or Birmingham candidates who may have shared with Warks in the hope of getting more information (in the past, Birmingham offered a lot less info whereas Warks offered rankings split into areas and genders) - some of these Birmingham candidates will have no interest in getting a place in Warks and some may have interest but be outside of the priority circle. There will also be some candidates who decide to go private or move area etc. There will also be true "additional" candidates in the 3369 who sat the test. It is difficult to assess how many are true candidates - how many of those are male and how many of those sit in the ranks above your son. However 236 is a score that would have got you a place in any of the Southern Priority Circle schools on offer day for as many years as I have been watching this forum. Taking KES as an example, the AQS last year was 230 and the waiting list was 225 - a score of 235/236 was around rank 200, I believe - I don't think (from memory) they accepted anyone below 228, but you are still 8 points above that. Over the last few years, the AQS has risen every year but usually by 1 or 2 points only - it would have to rise 7 points this year to take the AQS over your son's score - and he would still be near the top of the waiting list.

No guarantees obviously but the range of scores don't look vastly different to last year so I would be cautiously optimistic.
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

Thanks kenyancowgirl, I do accept that the trend for increasing AQS has not been that stark in recent years. I guess I'm more concerned for friends whose children have scored mid teens in the Rugby area, in case they're not as in the clear as they would have been previously. I'm just speculating and worrying for everyone!

It's interesting to see that a lot of the Birmingham crowd may have shared results purely for the extra information they get in return - I hadn't thought of it that way, and it's a shame that it has to muddy the waters somewhat.

Thanks for your help :)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The irony being that Warwickshire have offered less information this year and, what has been released with regards to ranking (which always used to be the more accurate reading) is now next to useless!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now