Can someone please explain how this works to a novice!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Centralperk

Can someone please explain how this works to a novice!

Post by Centralperk »

Hi, I am new to all this but I have been following the forum for a while.

My son has scored 215 on the test. We live 0.8 miles away from Sheriff. After texting some school Mums who went through this last year, they are very confident my son will get a place. Is this true? Reading here makes me worry. Thank you.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Can someone please explain how this works to a novice!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Last year the AQS was 210 and the minimum waiting list score was 206 so even if the AQS goes up, your son is 5 points above last year’s so you “should” be ok. Where there are others on the same score/rank as you, distance becomes a factor with those living closer to the school having an advantage.

Make sure you list it 1st on your CAF and get your CAF in on time.
gemgem

Re: Can someone please explain how this works to a novice!

Post by gemgem »

Centralperk wrote:Hi, I am new to all this but I have been following the forum for a while.

My son has scored 215 on the test. We live 0.8 miles away from Sheriff. After texting some school Mums who went through this last year, they are very confident my son will get a place. Is this true? Reading here makes me worry. Thank you.
You must be falling under Rugby inner circle. The distance (within the circle) will play a role only if two students gets the same mark say 215 and if the other student live 0.1 miles, the preference goes to them.

With a score of 215, you must be safe. But no one could guarantee till March.
You could get an indication if you know the parents of students appeared the exam this year. If they are of the similar academic capabilities ( I mean preparation for the 11 plus etc), you will get some indication.

There is no point of comparing with last years students. The reason is people think the maximum attainable score was high this year and hence resulted in high scores (I don't know how much truth in it) If that's the case, AQS will rise this year.
The good news for you is that AQS for LSS was not increasing more than a point over years. So with 5 points above last year would be safe in normal circumstances. Good luck. Now you can't do anything about the score. So congratulate you son...be relax...and wait for the good news in March. Otherwise, you will have sleepless nights ahead for a cause which you can't have any control. If your child scored 215 with out extreme pressure, (being a boy anything above 200), it is very good score and they will do well in secondary, where ever they study provided it is a good school. Some students born in Sep-March has more maturity over later born when they appear the exam.
If your son have years of preparation and extreme pressurized tutoring, the score 215 may be a bit of concern for future no matter he gets admission or not. There are children gets 230+ and later struggle.
11 plus score is only good for getting an admission to a good school. They are not superior to those who missed out in the long run.
Good luck and your son will get his choice of school.