How does ranking work

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Memebaby

How does ranking work

Post by Memebaby »

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but as we are due to get our DC's rank in Wednesday I want to be clear about what it means. So ...if our score was 230 there will be an unknown number of girls in our case that will have scored higher anywhere in the range from 231 to goodness knows but say 250+. There may be 10 girls that got a score of 231 and say 5 girls got a score of 232 and so on. ... So if I got a rank of say 200 for arguments sake has that taken account of every single girl scoring higher or does each higher score take one rank. In simple terms if I rank 200 of girls does that mean there are exactly 199 girls with a better score than me.
Sorry if that's a bit stupid if me but thus 11 plus stuff blows my mind and after today my brains puddled !!!
Memebaby

Re: How does ranking work

Post by Memebaby »

And also will there be a certain amount of Birmingham children in the figures. I have no idea what sharing results with Birmingham means or whether I opted to do this and what difference it makes if I did.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

Interested to know this two. It’s just all so confusing to me.

What if 10 people scored the same as my son and they’re all in the priority circle?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ranks take account of every single person. If you had scores of 250, 240, 230 x 2 and 220, ranks would be:

1) 250
2) 240
3) 230
4) 230
5) 220

The 2 x 230's are split by the next criteria whcih is usually distance. I believe that, like last year, ranks will include any Birmingham cohort who chose to share with Warks - this means it skews the ranks a little as some of the children have no intention of taking up a Warwickshire place - and some will now consider it as they have ranked better than they imagined.

With regards to the priority Circle, try and imagine it like two lists - ranked cancdidates within the PC (Group A) and ranked candidates outside of it (Group B). In round 1 only the group A are considered - if the places are not filled then those ranked highest in Group B are considered. So some of the Group A candidates will have scored/ranked lower than some of the Group B candidates that subsequently get an offer, because they are in a higher criteria overall. In both of these lists, initially it is only candidates above the AQS that are offered. In practise, my sources tell me that the AQS is effectively set at a level that hits the school's individual PANs and also takes the highest scored/ranked children across both Group A/Group B, whilst still giving preference to Group A. Pupil premium candidates also skew the ranks a little, if they score within a certain mark of the AQS (from memory, I think most of the schools in Birmingham and Warwickshire allow them up to 5 points below the AQS) they will get offered a place.

All this information is on the websites.
Maple Mama

Post by Maple Mama »

Ahh ...That's a really easy-to-understand description of the process. I was wondering how it worked. Thank you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now