KES stratford or AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supermum99

KES stratford or AGS

Post by supermum99 »

While we are anxiously waiting for the scores, I thought I might as well ask some questions about the schools. We have visited AGS but did not manage to get to KES open day. Can I please ask what the opinions and experiences on both schools? Or maybe what’s the differences between them? What should we consider when choosing which one is better for our DSs. Thank you very much.
Last edited by supermum99 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest201

Re: KES stratford or AGS

Post by guest201 »

Think your DD would struggle to get into KES, as it is a boys school !!
Fingerscrossed&toes

Post by Fingerscrossed&toes »

Yes, SGGS is the girls school in Stratford
supermum99

Post by supermum99 »

oh, sorry, I meant DS. :P
Fingerscrossed&toes

Hi, im having the same wait for my DS. We looked at both and it is hard to tell just from visiting what they are like. In my opinion ( and it is only my opinion ) I think KES seemed a lot more elitist than AGS, similar in ethos to SGGS in fact. I think the expectations placed on the boys will be different. Don't get me wrong, as my daughter is at SGGS and she revels in the elitism of an all girls school. However, my wife thinks AGS would be a much better fit for my son, as he is very much less bothered about that kind of thing. He also likes being around girls, whereas my daughter thought that boys " waste my time in class ". I also know people who chose AGS above KES because they thought it a better fit for their boy ( above AQS received for both AGS and KES ), they are very very happy with AGS. So, in short no easy answer.

However, if he does do well enough for KES, it will be a nice conversation to have with him about where he wants to go. :-)
supermum99

Post by supermum99 »

Thanks Fingerscrossed! Although I have not been to KES Stratford, I personally prefer it since it is teaching Mandarin and Latin which are the two languages I wish DS could learn. Also added complications are we live really close to AGS, not so for KES, I wonder what's the traffic like around the school dropping off/picking up times at KES?
Last edited by supermum99 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Traffic in Stratford is a nightmare at any time but especially at school drop off pick up. I could not imagine sending my child to a school I had not visited and KES is a School that someone once described as marmite - some love it, some hate it and it very definitely does not suit all boys. It is very much a rugby school - and I mean that in the sense it is run very much like a private school, not just that they play rugby there.

Why did you not go an Open Day?
supermum99

Post by supermum99 »

I forgot why, there was something came up maybe. I have been to KES Edgbaston, guess it is similar but no fee? I did not think DS will get in but it is just a thought at the moment. It would be a nice problem to have if DS gets the high enough score.
Last edited by supermum99 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fingerscrossed&toes

You should consider the distance, as it is a commitment- not just at normal school hours. We are on the edge of the circle, so DD gets a bus to SGGS every day. However, this is only part of the story as she attends clubs after school on three nights. I could not manage this and the pick up of my other child if I did not work from home. Also trips to see friends over the other side of the "circle" and birthday parties etc etc.... :D

For me KES makes better sense in terms of Logistics than AGS, so I DS gets the score he will probably go there. However, we will not be bothered in the slightest if he gets to AGS, as the environment would seem a slightly better fit if all things were equal.
supermum99

Post by supermum99 »

I am fully aware of the journey problem, DS goes to a school in Birmingham and it takes 40-50 minutes each trip at the moment. Now his score is known, he wants to go to CHB, which is on my way to work. So this might be a solution. We have not visited that school either, never thought he would done so well. I feel really happy for him. Any thoughts about CHB?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now