Proof of address for child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Proof of address for child

Post by hermanmunster »

mitasol wrote:I do think it may be time to challenge if the specific requests for proof of ID are acceptable and reasonable. Every year there seem to be people struggling to comply with the requests. I fully understand the need to have ID checks but it should be something that everyone can provide with ease.

To my mind it is not the job of doctors or dentists to provide letters. Many would be unwilling or expect to charge.
Children without bank accounts should not be penalised
Child Benefit not wishing to reissue letters.
New GDPR rules

What else is on the list?
I think the request for address idea for a child is unreasonable and TBH most of the things people are using do not guarantee that that is where the child is currently living:

1) agree don't ask Dr / Dentist - if you do then expect to be charged ++ - there are plenty of people on doctors and dentists list who have not updated their address, particularly if they have not moved far and may want to have to avoid moving surgery. Anyway why shoudl the LEA know who your doctor is??
2) Child benefit - only option is to get the letter (lots of work for CB office) or to claim the CB and then pay it back later (about 18/12 later) via self assessment - a process that probably costs far more in admin.
3) My kids didn't have bank accounts - one of them had some Premium bonds
4) as this is educational then I would have thought that evidence from the primary school is likely to be the best confirmation of address
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 for number 4
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

I've spoken to admissions who admitted that there has been a problem with emails bouncing back, but they will get them all resent today. I've now got my email (phew!)
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

In case it's of help to anyone, I've been chatting with some other parents in the same boat as us - we thought we had prepared adequately for this but as they've changed the rules since last year we're now struggling to obtain the correct evidence in time (we all had NHS cards ready - these are no longer acceptable).

The child benefit office were very helpful, they don't send annual letters but are happy to provide a one off letter showing our entitlement which takes 2 weeks. The council also told me that a glasses prescription will do, so I've booked my son an eye test as a back up. The dentist and gp won't issue anything addressed to him, the Halifax were a dead loss too, and we can't find anything about that government child trust fund that was set up when he was born so not sure who the provider is!

The council told me I should email admissions and explain the difficulties I'm having acquiring the correct evidence, and I'd suggest that anyone else also struggling should do the same so that they have a good idea of how difficult this is for many families since GDPR blighted our lives :)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thanks for letting us know. It’s wonderful that the LA has been so helpful and willing to consider the issue.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The council are right to require proof of address as it does deter fraudulent applications but they do need to be clearer about what evidence is acceptable and ensure it is not impossible to acquire or costly as both are difficult for true applicants.
Olog08

Post by Olog08 »

I’ve just received an email from Admissions confirming that the Group 1 & 2 documents I have sent are in order and have been added to my child’s file. Hopefully that means I can relax now! Hope you all receive the same soon.
AndyV

Post by AndyV »

We had a slight concern over our Bank Statement for the group 2 proof of address, as it had an adults name on in addition to the child's, but Warwickshire have just confirmed that that's fine. :D
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

Olog08 wrote:I’ve just received an email from Admissions confirming that the Group 1 & 2 documents I have sent are in order and have been added to my child’s file. Hopefully that means I can relax now! Hope you all receive the same soon.
That’s interesting. I had an email confirming that they had received my documents, but they didn’t mention anything about them being in order. In fact it says if they’re not in order you won’t find out until after the deadline.
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

We still hadn't received our email so I've just spoke to admissions who have now sent it. Apparently I only have to send a document from Group 2 as thy already have the council tax bill from Group 1. I might send extra because the whole thing is a bit chaotic and very much not foolproof.

I do hope no one misses out because they don't receive the email and don't know to chase it!

Gary
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now